Octatrack MK2 problems (particularly the screen)

Yes, but does it sample???

2 Likes

Same here. Grateful to those who post about their issues. These units are not cheap. At such a price there is an expectation of high build quality. Got to say Iā€™m surprised at those weird Digitakt button threads. My first Rytm had the infamous screen burn issue. So then again, maybe I shouldnā€™t be surprised. Itā€™s not a good feeling and doesnā€™t inspire warm fuzzy feelings. Problems should be pointed out and Elektron should redouble efforts at Quality Control and parts sourcing before their rep slides. I would hope anyone wanting Elektron to remain a viable company would agree.

6 Likes

I have the AR and AK MKII pre-ordered and paid for. I am concerned.

It is a bit misleading because you do not see any apparent ā€œghostingā€ on their marketing pictures on the main site. You are paying a premium for a product you would expect to get what is exactly as advertised.

Can you imagine if your brand new OLED phones had this issue? The screen is the main point of feedback to the user on these machines, I would expect a higher standard of quality.

4 Likes

What was the issue again? At the octa now, not seeing much to complain aboutā€¦ Can you tell me exactly what to look for?

heres a video of my unitsā€™ screen

What was the other thing to check besides the screen?

i would not consider elektron to be premium level machines, more like mid to high level. A premium device holds a much higher price point. And that is a very important factor to consider, price point. elektron is still a boutique style company (only a handful of synths, independent, no giant company backing them). this ultimately effects parts that can be used, production runs, development. why? money of course. for instance the OLED screens elektron is using for the mkii machines and the digi are not the same type of screen one would find in says a samsung phone, which are super high quality screens, because likely the cost of a super high quality screen would significantly raise the price of the boxes. no one would have been happy paying a couple hundred dollars extra for a screen upgrade to a phone quality oled.

im finding with the current run of products people are being really nitpicky, almost searching for flaws and drawbacks. when i first get a new machine the first thing i do is noodle not use a fine tooth comb to see if i can find flaws in it.

2 cent/rant for the day

10 Likes

But in all fairness, the new look and feel of the new controls and displays seems to be a big selling point with the mk II marketing. Just look at how many bullet points with the mk IIā€™s marketing text point to them. They are listed as major features. Therefore I find it quite understandable to scrutinize them.

But can someone please let me know what to look for? I want to understandā€¦ AFAIK my unit looks fine?

1 Like

Is that screen flicker just on the video?

Just the videoā€¦ I wanted to shoot a video since it might reveal more info wrt the display than just a static image.

Hereā€™s a static image I took before shooting the video

Is there a protective film on the display btw? Havenā€™t noticed if there is oneā€¦

1 Like

expecting things to work as described vs scrutinizing are two different things. since the digi dropped there have been a number of threads about the screens and the response has been that the dimming of lines/ghosting is normal behavior on these particular screens. the selling point of the screens is not that they are hd or high quality but that they are more viewable in a likely dimly lit live setting.

if your unit looks/seems fine why go looking for a problem?

I am not looking for a problem. I want to understand what ā€œthe problemā€ actually is. And if I talk about how I can understand that people scrutinize these things, it does not mean that I enjoy doing it myself, I was just saying that in a general sense.

Posting pics is just for trying to find out collectively if there is an underlying ā€œissueā€ that is common for all units, or if there are variations between unitsā€¦ Unit to unit variance would suggest a QC issue

Bear in mind also that English is my third language, so excuse/ignore any slight nuance ā€œerrorsā€

2 Likes

There was no mention of you in particular scrutinizing or enjoying doing it in my post.

What I was posing to you was if the OT you received seems/looks fine to you and youā€™re enjoying the machine is it necessary to try to find the issue others are having on your machine.

Maybe I am not explaining my thoughts properlyā€¦

cause i read it before you withdrew it, thanks for the alternate point of view. i hadnt even considered that for some reason.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got no problems with my DT screen , never had an issue with the original game boy screen either. Considering itā€™s a new oled screen Iā€™m a little surprised of the ghosting / imperfections.
I appreciate economies of scale may impact their screen decision , Iā€™ve never had any lcd / screen device with such an issue that I can remember, eg many phones , cameras , maschine , lxr , iPods etc.
The worst Iā€™ve had was possibly a dead pixel on psp

It is possible that any machine can have a fault , my sh01a needs to be replaced ā€¦ iā€™m Always cautious when issues are flagged as the internet can amplify any potential issue / misunderstanding / design decision.

Iā€™d expect new elektron boxes use the same screen , buttons , encoders , and the issues above are familiar DT ā€˜thingsā€™

Pleas read the first post OP made, there are some photos and explanations of what he thinks is his issue with his unit.
Like someone already pointed out, and I will repeat it ; donā€™t look for the problem if you feel ales ist gut (with your unit) :slight_smile:

No but I cannot see anything wrong in the OPā€™s unit? Based on his pics, it looks like my unitā€¦ I can get a photo of the screen where the lines show as much as on his photoā€¦ just a matter of taking a photo at a certain time and angleā€¦ but I can also get a pic like I posted above.
and I am not seeing anything wrong with his buttons?

Again, just to clarifyā€¦ I only want to understand.

There are horizontal lines that are a bit darker than the rest on the screen.
He is also saying the 5 button is partially lit, meaning the back light of the button doesnā€™t completely light up the 5 and some letters in other buttons.

I donā€™t mind so much the buttons as much but if I paid $1300 for a machine and the screen looked like that it would bother be a bit.

1 Like

I checked my trig LEDs again, and 5 looks the same on my unit as all the other trigs. Red and green seems to have greater intensity than the white light on the trigs however, all the trigs look slightly less even coloured when theyā€™re white than when theyā€™re red or green.

I wonder if ti is a same screen used in DT ? Peolpe with DT have the same issues, but Elektron is calling that normal ( so they say, i do not have issue with my A4 MK1 screen )

it is possible that these things are related. Has there been any consensus with the DT on this? As in, some units are affected more than others?

Furthermore, any chance that this might be 50Hz/60Hz related electricity phenomenon?

well I it looks like consensus is that this is ā€œnormalā€, and that tells me it is frequent enough.