Octatrack MK2 problems (particularly the screen)

That’s the spirit!..

That’s the ghost!..

This ghost showed up not long ago, just some time after upgrading to 1.31.
I remember having a clean display with 1.30D upon entering display test mode.
I just noticed the screen irregularities today. Is the screen starting to die, or could this be a O.S related bug?
My unit is merely 1.5yrs old and had been lightly used during this time.

I’ve just noticed your post. I have a similar issue with my screen that has just show up during the past days probably. Any word back from elektron hq yet?

This is kind of inherent in these type of displays from what I understand. If it gets any worse I would send in a ticket though. I had the same issue until the latest OS update screen saver mode. Does yours dim after sitting for a while with no use and then the display go dark until you touch any of the keys or knobs? The dimming of the display is what cleared mine up. There will always be some ghosting though.

1 Like

Thanks for replying turbiville. I searched the forum back log and just discovered this thread MK2 Burn-In

The display dims, yes, after some idle time, after which the screen saver activates. I think I had my unit on for longer periods during the past week, as I’ve had more time to make music, and chose not to turn my units off regularly because I relied on the screen saver. Now that I know I caused myself this burn-in I’ll definitely turn them of when not using them for at least an hour.
From what I can see in other users experience it only gets worse from here. Though, in contrast, having the screen replaced will at some point (some sooner than others) have the same issue. I’ll keep using it for now, yes, and open a ticket when things get worse.
It took me by surprise to say the least, as just a couple of days ago my screen was spotless… this must have occurred very recently.
Beware folks. Take good care of your OLEDs… I know it’s a terrible advice after spending over 1k on a piece of kit, but that’s the truth.

Fwiw my a4 mk2, same age as the ot mk2, but used more often, shows signs of the same burn in issue… so yeah, it’s common… not impressed :frowning:… this calls for more music making!

Found this info on Adafruit forum:

“When an OEL display module is operated for a long of time with fixed pattern may remain as an after image or slight contrast deviation may occur. Nonetheless, if the operation is interrupted and left unused for a while, normal state can be restored. Also, there will be no problem in the reliability of the module.”

I believe these Adafruit screens are the same screens in Elektron machines, but I might be wrong (SSD13xx type)

I think that periodic inversion of the screen is also one potential solution, and of course turning the display off after a period of inactivity, as with the screen saver. Personally I think I’d be ok with it shutting off completely in 5 or 10 minutes if it extends the life.

4 Likes

I’d also be okay with it shutting down earlier, or a button combination to turn off the screen.

3 Likes

Yeah 1 hour is seems a bit too long…
would rather it switch of the display earlier

Hello,

Elektron did not choose an OLED screen on the “new” Model:Samples. They chose a backlit LCD, as on first Octatrack (Mk. I) .
Is it because there is too much problem with OLED screens and they have no solution ?

My Octatrack Mk II is on order and I am worried about this OLED screen problem.

Regards

Denony

It’s likely a lcd was chosen for the M:S because of cost, not because of having trouble on other units OLED. the M:S is two product tiers below the OT in terms of functionality, quality, and price.

4 Likes

Got my OT mk2 back from the Sweden workshop and got the sticky buttons fixed! Yes, … and feels great. Was checking my screen now and I thought I saw something strange… no way,… just the screen protection that is still on… All good. Back to sampling “Leo Lausemaus” with junior …

2 Likes

From what I have learned looking into this a bit it is that it seems that as long as it isn’t on for extended periods, it should be fine, and since the last update the dimming and screen saver should take care if this.

See my post a few back from this one with the Adafruit info for more detail.

2 Likes

Oooooooh!
Sampling song for children! So obvious (tonniebox runs all the time :slight_smile:)

Thank you for that inspiration

BTW:
Also my screen has the ghosting effect :confused:

1 Like

Hello

Thank you for your replies.

I am not convinced that the firmware 1.31 takes care of the problem because it is available since 7 months and we still hear about the OLED burning problem.

I think Elektron should add settings (brightness levels, adjustable “screen off” delay (5 to 55 minutes), moving image, …). This may help extend the life of the screen, more.

And maybe they put better screens on Octatracks made recently? (Am I dreaming ?).

Regards

Denony

Welcome. Yes, I do most of my OTíng together with our son. While he listens to an audio book and plays I play along with sampled bits and pieces. Our son loved the OT from the beginning, but now the Lyra8 is the star. The ghost machine, he calls it. :ghost:

Well, I am probably lucky my music time is limited, burn in and/or ghosting effect is not going to happen anytime soon. I have mix feelings about that, but happy anyway I can enjoy the magic box the OT is from time to time.

Hello,

Where Octatrack MkII is made ? Sweden ? China ? … ?

Thank you,

Regards

Denony

Hiko, Nevada, USA.

Really!

AKA Area 51, no not really

1 Like

Digitakt did have a sort of ghosting early on, but they slightly changed the graphics and it solved the problem. It wasn’t super noticeable but if I’m remembering correctly it was a thing. Pretty sure it isn’t what is happening here exactly.