Octatrack mk2 no sample on playback

Just starting sampling from scratch into the OT.
Following the Elektron Video on Sampling into inputs A/B Octa, watched several times now.
Worked first time perfectly on Track 1, then I deleted. Now I see The signal coming in same a before, but nothing on playback after 16 secs sample. No Wave visible on AED. Any ideas what to look for?

Are you using a 1 shot trig for recording? Did you arm it again (Func+YES)? Do you have a trig on step one for playback?

HELP. Trying simple Sampling on Octatrack MK2 on A/B inputs still not working, Doing everything in Manual that I can see. Any ideas???

HELP
Still trying simple sampling on Octatrack MK2 on A/B inputs - still not working, Doing everything in Manual that I can see. Sampling source is audio from You Tube.
I am on Flex recording 1, Hearing the inputs on Phones out, and see yellow lights A-B on REC-1, Press Track-1 (Red), Press REC-1, Then little tape recorder in window turns. SeeBar line moving on bottom of Recording 1 Setup 1 Window. Stop recording. Place a Trig on Sequencer, hit Play, seq. runs, Hear no Playback, Mixer button, DIR 127, Gain Up fine etc …Any ideas???

You need to think of your regular triggers and the ones in the recorder page as completely separate.

The 16 trigs on the main page will just trigger whatever sample you have set on that track, if you want to play back what you’re recording you need to set that to the recorder buffer for that track. So for easiness sake let’s use track 1 and set it to flex machine > recorder buffer 1. Put a trig on step 1 so it plays when you press play. If there’s nothing in it, you will obviously hear silence

Now that’s set up go on the recorder page. Set the input to AB, put a trig on step 1. Hold function and press it to turn it into a one shot trig. Now when you press play it will start recording for as many steps as you set. It will play once it passes the normal trig again. That’s it pretty much

ok, watching the MacPro Videos now, he’s great.

Still not working as it should. Using FLEX on all 8 tracks as suggested by Thavius video, created a Template. So I am using the FUNC+REC1 button. The Red does not light on REC 1, but the little recorder turns and I hit it again a few times and it finally stops. Then I am seeing the AED file, If I press a trig on Seq. Step 1, it erases the sample I recorded. This is really weird. I watched Thavius video 10 times last night, still not understanding this, because it should work. He doesn’t say anything about using the Transport Record, Play Stop. Like I said, when I hit play it erases the sample from the AED I just recorded. Really strange. Then when I look for the sample I just recorded, its a white line in the AED screen-gone.

When you hit Func+Rec 1, what are the settings on each square on the screen? Starting from the top left, reply with each setting you see up to and including the bottom right. Just curious how you have it setup.

INAB AB, INCD -nothing, RLEN MAX, TRIG ONE2, SRC3 - nothing, LOOP off.
Thavius also said to set the Memory to Flex 16, and Dynamic Recorder-YES

Are you trying to record as long as possible or do you just want to capture 4 bars (64 steps)? If so, change RLEN to 64 steps.

Next, while in the same mode (Func+Rec 1), press the Record button on the transport (red circle should be lit on same now) then place a one shot trig on step one (Func+ trig). It should be yellow.

Push and hold that same trig and you will see which sources you are recording from. It will highlight each source on the screen. You can deselect sources that you don’t want to record by continuing to hold that trig and push the corresponding Rec button to enable/disable the source (Rec 1 for A - B, Rec 2 for C - D, Rec 3 for Internal).

Edit: enable record key on transport while in Func+Rec 1 mode.

Thanks Will try. 64 steps is fine, just had it set to random length.

Assuming you have audio coming in A B (or will when you start the transport), it should record 4 bars into the corresponding record buffer. You can see it recording by observing the triangles on the bottom of the screen. The bottom triangle is the playhead position and the top triangle is a recording pass. Oncs it has been captured, you can exit the Func+Rec 1 mode.

From here, press the record button on the transport controls to enter grid record mode. Place a trig on step one so that the buffer you just recorded plays back.

If you want to overwrite what you just recorded you can hit Func+Rec 1 again, then Func+Yes to arm your one shot record trig. The next time the play head passes over it, it will record over top of the previous recording. Note that a one shot trig disarms after it has been triggered (flashes yellow and red)

wow, thats a lot more than I thought it would take to just record a simple sample. not too clear but will try to work with it. This is a MK2, not MK1.

Works good. Thanks.

1 Like

Yup. Instructions are for a MKII. There might be a faster way to capture a sample but that’s the way that I know. Just trying to be as detailed as possible.

It becomes very easy once you see it in action. I read a fair bit and watched a lot of videos at first and thought I had it then I lost samples or didn’t capture things when I thought I should. It’s just second nature now and it didn’t take long to be that way.

You’ll get it and you have a great community of people here to help. I’m an OT neophyte and I’m sure there are others here that can give you some faster tips on recording (and some crazy tips for what you can do with them!)

1 Like

thanks man. I dont understand why Thavius MacPro Videos were doing it so differently. He was doing the tutorial on MK2 also. Will read your details and practice. Going to sleep not as bummed now.

Next I want to figure how to place different hits (Slices), on individual trigs…still haven’t figured that out. Like on the Machinedrum.

1 Like

You’re welcome! The way I laid it out is for recording things in an automated fashion.

I don’t use this method but I believe you can do “on the fly” recording (you don’t need to be in Func+Rec 1) by either pushing, and holding for as long as you want to capture, the Rec source button that you want to sample from (One shot recording) or push the Rec source button once to start recording then once more to stop recording (One Two mode). You define that behavior in the Func+Rec 1 page (bottom left corner). I only use the method I describe because I want to capture loops but it sounds like you want to capture snippets from YouTube and those “on the fly” methods would probably work better. I’m guessing that’s what Thavius is describing.

yes, there are other types of trigger sample recording you can set up I am sure. Like other menus on OT, there are probably a few different ways to end up at the same result. I am new also, a few months in only… I am finding that the Elektrons are all about learning how to think the way their designers do, once you understand the language, its like learning any language or skill or instrument, but they are very complex. If someone gives you a Violin or guitar and says play this, its limited to what it can do on the surface, tuning, strings, strum, bow, pluck etc., and you just need to master ‘technique’, but with these, its something totally different. The ‘what is this?’ takes a lot longer to know its insides than a violin or other instrument.

I’ve said this a bunch, but once you learn sampling on the OT you should practice it as much as possible, or it’s easy to forget. When I first started sampling on the OT I would watch movies through the OT with my computer running through it, and I’d sample anything going through the OT. Over and over. Practice makes perfect😃

3 Likes

With a new project, OT is ready to record AB/CD without setting anything.
Press Track button + RECAB (REC1)
Flex with corresponding recording for playback, done.

3 Likes