Octatrack MK2 field report after 1 year of use (buying advice)

Still true to this day. Of. Of course can do more with a computer with live but it sounds very sterile to me. Just like the fx on the octatrack suck so does live. Plugins., But better yet some pedals and other out board gear. I never use reverbs ,delays etc. On ableton not my cup of tea.

But its still the best thing for not being on a computer. Its just terrible to learn.

Good review. A pity I’d not read it before splashing out. I liked the idea of everything in one box but it tries to pack too much in with the available space. All the buttons have at least two functions and the screen is to small; it’s all cryptic icons!
Ultimately it is waaaayyy too complicated. I suspect all those that love this thing and think is a straight forward piece of kit most likely work at NASA.
And to think I sold my OP-1 to buy this. Now there is a company that knows how to get the best out of tiny screens with quirky icons! :slight_smile:

Teenage Engineering came out of former Elektron employees if my memory serves me right. So they both know what they’re doing. OT takes some patience but it is genuinely the greatest performance sampler of all time.

7 Likes

It’s complex, but that’s because it does a lot. If you are willing to take the time to learn it, the complexity is a gift. If you want something that’s intuitive out of the box and doesn’t require too much thinking, this is not it.

The design approach is pretty much the opposite of the OP-1

3 Likes

I could agree on some great reasons to expect that Elektron are going to do something greater. Maybe not, and for some simpler to the point and updated sound engine yes DT, however the OT handles those long samples like a champ. You make points for people who can and enjoy focusing on a puter. I like the keys for nostalgia but pads are nice for pressure too.

They could make something in the vein of a modern/throwback flagship. Like a stab at the real ableton in a box, but will they do it?
I think for what it is for me it’s the nail on the head for what I’ve envisioned of an instrument and so much more.

I like a direct instrument over a computer. And I don’t ‘need’ more than what it has. The MkII additional buttons I’ve heard make it better without the more archaic key combo’s but I have never used the mkI. I like the mk2. Agree on the RAM.

I think as ‘modular’ as it all really is they should create a master unit that you can purchase the OS’s and machines of other units as well as have the updated features. Make a poly sample based synth for the base system, have a OT/MD-esque box unit and a keys unit.

You can potentially if they’re listening, put the MNM, MD, DN, DT, OT, machines or what not on it like say in the vein of what Roland did with their emulations. It’s all digital aside from the analog stuff which keeps it’s place as different. Maybe they could include something analog but I would think they’d like to keep it clean? and then if they put overbridge on it, it would be over for those who want the puter hook up.