Octatrack mk2 double trigger MD patterns?

I just got an Octatrack and I’m experimenting with using it to control a chunk of my gear. I am running into a weird problem though (and it may be user error since I have never used the MD like this)

Basically I am trying to control the pattern changes on the MD with a midi channel on the OT. But I am getting a double trigger on the first note of my pattern whenever the Midi note to change the pattern is sent from the OT to the MD.

In MD Global edit
Control
Base Channel: 13-16
No changes to the Map editor
Local Control: ON
Program Change In: ON.
Program Change Out: OFF.
Channel is 16

Sync
Tempo In: External
Control In: On
Tempo Out: On
CTRL Out: On

On the OT I have Midi Track 8 set to have a single note on the first beat on channel 13.
In Pattern A01 that note is E4.
In Pattern A02 the note is F4.

The pattern switching works well, but the note doubling on the first note is pretty annoying. Is there other settings I should be looking at? I have also noticed that When it is in Pattern A02 the Machine Drum UI has A01 queued up all of the time, and it make actually switch right at the end of A02, and then immediately go to A02 on the next midi trigger from the OT.

Has any one else seen this issue? Am I just being dumb and missing something obvious?

Thanks!

I don’t believe pattern changes require a midi note so you may be sending a pattern change and additionally sending a chromatic note that is hitting a drum sound?

1 Like

I don’t believe pattern changes require a midi note so you may be sending a pattern change and additionally sending a chromatic note that is hitting a drum sound?

Really i thought the whole point of the control map editor was so you could use midi notes to change patterns. Is there a better way to do it from the OT to the MD? Like directly changing the patterns? That would be sweet!

1 Like

It’s been a minute since I’ve messed with both. I think you can play patterns chromatically or have the MD change patterns when the OT changes patterns. You may be doing both simultaneously?

For the latter method turn PC send on on OT and PC receive on in MD and make sure they are the same channel. Then don’t send any notes with the midi channel.

For the former, I believe you don’t send PC with OT and you just send whatever chromatic note relates to whatever pattern.

Others with way more experience will chime in any second I’m sure.

1 Like

YOU ARE CORRECT! I just set it up only to do it on Program Changes and it works like a king! Thank you very much for your time.

1 Like

Cheers! The other way may have the advantage of changing patterns per step, but I’m not positive in that either.

Hi mas_

I’m using the first method, by sending notes and I also can’t get rid of the “double triggers” Matthew talks about.

I leave the MD on a blank pattern. This is to basically make it silent if no note is sent. Then I have a C2 note, INF length on OT triggering F9 pattern, also a C#2 note, INF length triggering F10 pattern. When the pattern changes from 9 to 10 I get a double trigger.

No program change is involved, MD is set not to receive program changes.

The TRIG mode in the MD Map Editor is on GATE, but setting it on STRT doesn’t solve it.

Any luck?

Best!

I ended up just doing whole pattern switches on the Octatrack, which in turn switch the patterns on both the MD (and now a Digitone), and moved away from trying to trigger different patterns on the MD from a midi channel. I think this would be stupid powerful, but I am able to get what I currently need with the whole pattern switch set up.

1 Like