Octatrack MK2 Crashing

Ah damn super bummed I’ll have to send it in but at least I’ll have the peace of mind it was repaired by the people who know the device the best.

Did they tell you why it happened again in such a short time? Did they misdiagnose it the first time and not fix it properly?

May I ask, are you US based and what repair facility you send it to? How long did it take for the repair and shipping? Sorry for so many questions! Stressed out

They didn’t tell me why it happened again, but after reading the pdf they sent, with pretty much the same description as the first time, I just assumed they had a bad batch of boards, because they changed the whole thing and there were other threads in this forum about it.

I’m in Yucatan, MX I had to ship it to California. They were very quick, as soon as they got the device they changed the CPU and returned the same day I think. So the only reason it took a few days was the distance and different country. Probably 3 weeks but I don’t recall exactly.

Edit: I checked the receipts and the first one says “Spare Part: CPU PCB (OT MKII)”. The second time it says “Replaced CPU C200”. :thinking:

2 Likes

When was your (faulty) MKII built? My code says first week of October 2020 (grey).

Well that’s good to hear that they were able to repair it so quick… Hopefully they’ll get mine right the first time! I sent them a link to this thread in my support ticket. I feel so unlucky- this problem seems extremely rare!

Mine says 2019 Week 42. Have you had similar issues?

1 Like

No.

Well just to close it out, I sent my Octatrack in and got it back yesterday, everything is working fine again. My receipt also says they replaced the CPU C200 so if anyone else has the same crashing problem, that’s the culprit.

3 Likes

Good evening everyone, I have the gray mkii octatrack, bought in February 2020, and today I just had the exact same problem, sad for such an expensive machine …
I have the impression that since the new update this problem is very recurrent

Did it start happening a third time? Reading around I see a couple others had this occur multiple times. Mine just began crashing like this and I’m worried that repairing it out of warranty will just lead it to happen in again =(

I haven’t had any issues since I got mine fixed 2 months ago

1 Like

Not a third time and it’s been a year.
I’m on my last year of warranty but being such an expensive machine it is a bit concerning to know it’s a common issue.

Having said that, I love the OT so I’ll definitely keep it for now.

“CPU C200” sounds like it would be a a capacitor in line with the cpu… havn’t opened it up yet. Would be wild if it’s just a capacitor taking a deathblow.

Arghs, mine just started doing this. OT MKII, Grey. I believe 2020.

Did anyone ever get this fixed without having to send it in for repair? I reside in the Philippines and it’s nearly impossible to send this over for repair.

I don’t think so… Maybe if you’re very experienced with electronics repair you can ask Elektron for the part (CPU C200) and try to replace it yourself?

Sorry to hear! Mine was also a 2020 model. My unit was suppose to have arrived Monday. I was expecting to have to provide proof of purchase, but nothing was asked. I guess the serial number being a 2020 unit, it’s under a blanket 3 year warranty.

I’ll report back when I hear if it actually was “CPU C200”, which I woukd imagine if some type of SMD capacitor in line to the CPU.

1 Like

Thank you, good idea. I already reached out to them via a ticket so I’ll ask them if there’s any way I can order that replacement part and if it’s something I can install myself.

Will keep you guys posted!

Or just capacitor C200, which is located somewhere on the CPU board. That’s how it reads to me - the first part of the designation is the board it’s on, the second is the part number.

It wouldn’t be the first time an unreliable batch of capacitors caused problems with a piece of gear.

I just received my service invoice and return tracking number. The invoice only states “replaced bad component” no specifics. So one can only assume…

Overall pleased with the repair time of a week and at no expense.

Just got my OT back as well. Missed it the whole time it was being repaired, and as happy as a clam to have it back! Hope to not encounter this issue ever again!

2 Likes

Same problem fo rme today, many many crashes with the exact same leds bright. Bought it in 2020 as well.

Following up my previous message. After finding another Octatrack, second hand but still under warranty, my first Octatrack is on its way to repair.
Today, same story. A show in open air, hot afternoon but not excessive (weather service says 28°C), after about one hour of service this other Octatrack crashes the same way : screen goes blank, sound shuts down, LEDs stay dim orange. I have to power off and on to restore service. Following that first crash, I put the machine to rest and in a colder place, then resumed work. other crashes happen every now and then (5 to 20 minutes).
Other gear on the same table perfectly stay in service (including guitar pedals, Digitakt and other).
That second machine seems to be manufactured around the same time as my first one.
Needless to say, I am not happy.