Octatrack MK2 and modular synth setup

Hi everyone,

I’ve recently purchased Octatrack MK2 after months of watching videos and researching, however, I still have a couple of questions. I’m wondering what’s the best method and settings to utilize Octatrack with a modular setup. Let me explain the route that I am about to take:

• I have 3 voices coming out of modular. I want to route each voice to separate Line In of Octatrack. In addition, I’d like to feed my Moog DFAM into spare Octa Line In as well.
  • In Octarack I want to have T1, 2, 3, 4 as the audio input signal from modular, processing FX etc. and in T5, 6, 7, 8 I’d like to have a space for live sampling of these inputs.
  • I’d like to have 4 ch. mono out from Octa to the main mixer, instead of stereo main and cue.

Basically, something like the below:

Modular voice OUT -> Octa In A -> (FX, Sampling, etc) -> Octa A OUT -> Soundcraft Line In ch1 Mixer. Repeat this step for each of the 3 voices just changing the corresponding numbers for Ins and Outs.

Questions:

1. Can I plug modular voice directly into Octa Input and just lower down the Input Gain within Octa to let’s say -15db, or it’s better to bring down the modular to unity line levels BEFORE going into Octatrack? Does it make any difference?

2. What sort of engine do I need to set for Line In signal? Flex, Thru machine or else?

3. How do I setup live sampling slots for T5,6,7,8?

4. Do I need to set audio record and playback to 24bit or 16bit is enough?

5. I don’t really need time stretching. Is it mandatory or I can switch it off? Will I benefit from it somehow?

I’ll be grateful for your comments. Thank you!

1 Like

(1) Bring down the levels first BEFORE going into the Octatrack. Modular signals are way too hot (and better be save than sorry).
(4) This completely depends on your requirements (just try it and use what sounds okay to you)
(5) timestreching can be switched off. Benefit from switching it off: no artifacts/original sound

You don’t need to use additional tracks for live sampling, because the recorders on each track are always there (in addition to the machine for playback). You only need additional tracks when you want to play back what got recorded.

(2) and (3) are too much to explain in short (at least for me), because there are multiple ways to do it and it completely depends on your needs “what’s best”. But there are already many, many threads here on this forum about recording and playback variants.

2 Likes

Personally I’d use the track recorders on 1,2,3,4, then tracks 5-8 are free for other stuff (including playing back any of the recordings)

You can still use tracks 1-4 for your thru machines, remember recorders 1-8 are independent of the tracks.

So with this configuration you can add fx to your inputs on the thru machines, and at any time via the use of manual recording or record triggers record either the individual input(s), the individual track(s), the master or cue outputs, or whatever combination you fancy.

Thanks for the reply guys.

So far I am struggling with setting up the In and Out channels properly. I don’t want “Main” and “Cue” outs. I want a simple 1, 2, 3, 4 mono outs. The reason why is because I am going with each channel into an external mixer.

I want to have:

Mono synth voice into Input 1 (T1) -> Mono Out 1 (Main L) -> My external mixer In 1
Mono synth voice into Input 2 (T2) -> Mono Out 2 (Main R) -> My external mixer In 2
Mono synth voice into Input 3 (T3) -> Mono Out 3 (Cue L ) -> My external mixer In 3
Mono synth voice into Input 4 (T4) -> Mono Out 4 (Cue R ) -> My external mixer In 4

So far I managed to setup T1 and T2. I can see signal going into T3 from 3rd input, but I am getting duplicated signal from input 1 on my external mixer. I have changed Cue to studio mode. This is so annoying. What am I doing wrong?

Have you panned the tracks hard left/right? So basically you want to set tr1 hard left main out, tr2 hard right main out, tr3 hard left cue out, tr4 hard right cue out, or whatever.
Remember to set any fx to mono to avoid bleed (in the case of reverbs, delay chorus etc)

2 Likes

Thank you. I was having trouble setting this up (couldn’t find the difference between Cue volume and Main volume) but finally I made it. There is also a good guide here if anyone else is looking for similar solution: How to setup for 4 mono ins?

Thanks!

Okay I’m staying with friends over the weekend, they have a modular set-up, I’m taking my OT mk2 so I can chore some sounds from them. I have other friends who run their modular straight into the OT mk1 with no problem but is this the case for the mk2? I’ve read about but it seems some advise attenuation pre OT and others who don’t. Any advice? I’m not sure what modules my friends have so not sure if attenuation will be possible for sure.

This might help but not sure.

My current solution is to run the Eurorack outputs through my audio interface’s preamps and capture the audio interface’s main outs which output very cleanly and the DACs have a huge range. This makes live sampling essentially impossible but it’s a good studio setup for experimentation. I’m ordering my first set of modules next week and I have a quad attenuator in there. Even my guitar seems to run hot in the Octatrack when I use a preamp pedal and reduce the gain/increase volume, really don’t know how direct modular outputs will fare in there without having to lower the volume too much, increase the gain and distort the sounds.

Let me know how it goes.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply, which OT are you using though?

Do they have a Rosie or some kind of headphone out in their modular? It’s actually pretty common, maybe check to see…

Another trick I use is to patch another modular level synth into the balance circuit of an 0-Coast and patch an offset into the dynamics circuit to hold it open and allow the other synth through. Then you can take the 0-Coast’s line-level output safely into the Octatrack. (A lot of modular folks have an 0-Coast kicking around.)

I personally don’t patch modular level signals into my OT without bringing them down to line level. Maybe I’m just overcautious, I dunno…

1 Like

Hey, no output modules, straight into their OT1! Thanks for the OC workaround but no OC. I’ll find out I suppose.

OT MK1:

Unbalanced audio inputs
Input level: +8 dBu maximum

OT MK2:

Balanced audio inputs
Input level: +17 dBu peak

The specs suggests that the MK2 can take even hotter input signals (more than twice) than the MK1.

To calculate voltage from dBu:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm

1 Like

Much appreciated! Seems I’m okay then. Very happy, thanks @tnussb

1 Like

MKII.

There was a thread that indicates (I think) the decibel levels of the LED colors, but I forget.

The workaround (since the OT doesn’t have a level meter for some reason…) was to turn up the input level threshold from -INF right up until the sound disappears. Then you’ll roughly have the threshold for your max dB level. Which can help if inputs are running hot.

But yea you should be fine, it’s unlikely you’ll break or damage anything. General rule of thumb is to turn the volume on the piece of gear all the way down before plugging it into the OT or anything else! Not only could it save the gear it’s input to, but your hearing as well… :open_mouth:

1 Like

Thanks, appreciate your replies!

1 Like