Octatrack MK II & Nord Lead A1 - Midi Sequencing Problem (with video)

Watched the video. Why did you switch Nord local control off?

On the Nord, leaving local control on is the default setting, and that’s worked for me when I have had another keyboards keys control it.

The only time I switched local control off, when connected to a Subsequent37 midi out, the Nord was unresponsive. Didn’t delve into why, since it was no big deal for myself.

Edit: also, try switching on the appropriate midi ch for the Nord ABCD slots.

It says to in the OT manual and the back in the ‘tutorials section’ - which is super useful. Found the remixing tutorial awesome!

I will try it again and leave local off. But having no luck with that either dude.

So I should switch either a,b,c,d to slot 1 as well. Should probably switch global off when doing this right, to avoid the two channels clashing?

The OT’s Project menu settings are irrelevant to your current needs. Local On/Off on the NL A1 is irrelevant.

In the MIDI menu on the NL A1, you should set one or all of the Slots on the NL A1 to the MIDI channel that your OT MIDI sequencer track is transmitting on. At about 9:00 in the video, you have switched off all the MIDI connections to the four Slots.

Also, make sure that at least one of the Slots is active (red LED is lit).

Without further evidence, the most likely problem is that the NL A1’s MIDI In port is broken.

Does the NL A1 MIDI LED flash when you sequence it from the OT?

Hey Peter, tried switching the slots on to the same midi channel - 1 …tried the slots individually and then the slots all turned on to 1. No flashing midi LED - think I mentioned that previously.

I think it’s safe to say its got a dodgy midi port. Odd really :frowning: not had the synth that long! Best hope it be under warranty!

Thanks for all your help so far - much appreciated.

This is unfortunate. USB works, but not the 5pin, that’s strange. Just grasping at straws now, but did you ever press the “midi panic” button to reset the bastard?

How about completely disconnecting it and trying a reload of its OS? I noticed it does have the current OS, but hey, it’s what the techs always ask ppl to do.

Either way, hope it gets sorted. Cheers.

I know this is an old thread but I’m having similar problems to the one on this thread, problems with either the Nord A1’s midi out or the OTMK2’s midi in. I have both machines set up just as the OT manual recommends. I’m at the part where I’m trying to use midi learn. OT is not hearing anything.

I’ll just add, in case it helps anyone to help me, that there is some communication between the synth and the OT, even though “learn” isn’t working - communication in both directions, however faulty. A certain note on the keyboard (b in the third octave) is triggering play on the OT, A in the third octave is shifting to the next track, A flat is shifting to the previous track. The program knob on the Nord A1 is doing things like deleting trigs and activating the channel select in the OT’s midi note setup. Midi out of the octatrack and into the A1 is, I think, working.

I’d apprecaite any help getting this sorted. I bought the OT expressly to use the two together. It would be an extreme downer for me if they weren’t able to do so.