Octatrack MK II and Arturia Keystep?

and works!
thx!

2 Likes

Hey there! I have my Keystep trigging midi in the OT however its recording the notes into the OT an octave lower than I’m hearing when I record. I have tried adjusting the oct range in both the KS and the OT but nothing works. My settings match the ones above. any thoughts?

Check Arp page transpose.

+0 mode off

I can adjust with the OT arp, but it feel like an unnecessary work around

Could you elaborate your setup?
Recording midi notes to play OB6 with OT?
Arp? Lfos ? Arranger ?
Same behavior with a new bank?

Good point, not at my rig right now, but I haven’t tested it on a new bank or project.

Basically the Keystep is going into the midi in of the OT. My midi out goes to a thru port, which sends notes to a Minimoog ( a 1974 Moog with after market midi added).

Channels in the OT navigate which synth gets played. Keystep plays them fine as does chromatic mode on the OT. The issue doesn’t seem to happen when I record with the OT chromatic mode ( I should double check this later)

It’s worked fine in the past, and I probably should check another project or bank before panicking and asking on here, but as of now, if I live record something I’m playing on the keystep, say the note “d3” I hear “d3” while I’m tracking, but on playback the OT drops it down an octave.

The OT arp can adjust the octave after the fact, and if I keep it set there, it stays, but currently it’s set to 10, to match the note I hear from the keystep.

Make sense?

Thanks for precisions. So the transposition is 10 semitones, not 1 octave ?

You mean arp page Transpose? It is active even if arp is off. That’s the most common explanation if you have a difference between what you play and what’s recorded.

If arp is on, notes can be transposed in arp setup page. There is Arp Octave Range too.
Midi tracks can also be transposed with the Arranger…

2 Likes

Hi everyone,
I’m new on the Elektronauts community, due to my investment in a good-as-new Octatrack MK1.
Clon303, I would like to ask you if you finally got the Keystep-Octatrack link up to work correctly?
I have a very similar goal, being able to play pitched samples (mall .wav files) using an external keyboard.
Is it possible, in doing so, to play overlapping notes, or even simple chords?

Thanks in advance,
Vincent

No, OT is not polyphonic.

You can use a midi processor to do a fake poly, using several OT tracks.
Check Retrokits RK002 Polymux, or MIDIPAL/MIDIBRO/MIDIBUD

1 Like

Wow, that was a quick reply, thanks!
What exactly is a ‘fake poly’ ? Does this mean I would have to program a note per track? Or would sacrifying 2 track do the job?
I’m sure there’s a topic on this, but I haven’t found it yet. Same on YT.
I would need the RK002, a simple midi-cable to a midi keyboard wouldn’t cover it?

(I’m awfully sorry, I’m really just getting started, I feel I have a LOT of things to learn here)

RK002 is already in a midi cable.
The Polymux script/setting consist in dispatching notes played simultaneously to different midi channels. Up to 8 for OT or Digitakt/Analog Rytm…

You just have to make your settings on 1 OT track, then copy/paste it to other tracks you want to play poly.

Note 1 > midi channel 1 (Track 1)
Note 2 > midi channel 2 (Track 2)
Etc…

1 Like

Thanks once more, I’m going to look into this!

1 Like

Exemple with 6 tracks. A bit different because I used 6 midi tracks controlling 6 audio tracks with a midi cable (OT midi loopback). Random arp. Single cycle saw.

It would sound similar with a Polymux script.

That’s cool! Yet I need some research to wrap my head around the setup; the ‘using midi tracks to control audio tracks’ idea is something I understand, it’s just that I don’t see HOW this would allow me to play several notes at the same time, and how it would be possible to play more than 6 notes (?).
Here is where my mind staggers, and I need to read some articles or something.
I come from a more classical background, so far I only used MIDI to control pedalboards and so on…this is a whole different level.
I would have simply used the keys of the Octatrack (playing keys only occurs in a few of our performed songs), if it weren’t for the ‘note cut-off’ due to te lack of polyphonie.
Using a small external keyboard would solve that problem, and leave me with a complete stand-alone workstation to go with the ‘vocals/bass/ guitars’ setup we’re actually using.

A few words in french; Merci, j’ai vu que tétais du côté de Vannes, moi je suis à Amiens :wink:

It was a example for the sound. With a keyboard + Polymux, you can send 8 midi channels and play live. You can’t play live with 8 midi tracks sending 8 channels, but arp is really efficient I think.

Amiens! Aplus!

Hey, it’s you I contacted with the same question on the french Audiofanzine yesterday (c’est bien toi, Willowwhisper56? En plus j’ai posé une autre question (a Bruno, dans les Pyrénées), il m’a conseillé de poser ma question à…guess who?..Willowwhisper56!!)

Merci en tout cas, c’est trop sympa !

1 Like

Yep.
👥 [FR] Le Bistrot Francophone / The French Café

I’m trying to use a Keystep 37 for the first time with an OT.

If i understood well, when triggering audio sample, you need to stay within a range of C5-C7 to not trig other stuff than notes.

Now what about velocity? Is there any workaround to « link » velocity and AMP settings of the OT? Or do I have to go thru a MIDI track first?

OT audio tracks aren’t velocity sensitive. Workaround: midi processor mapping Velocity to AMP VOL CC. And an AMP HOLD CC=min to end the notes after a recording.

No velocity, no length recording !

That was before new MAP modes. Now you can play slots, slices, only samples (Chomatic), control DELAY…

1 Like