Octatrack MK I unresponsive DOWN arrow key

Hi!
I am offered to buy a used Octatrack MK I with an (somewhat) unresponsive DOWN arrow key. How is this going to effect the use of Octatrack? What commands require this key? If I’ve understood correct I can scroll with Level knob but what else is behind this arrow key?

Thanks,
Matte

Short: you don’t want a dysfunctional arrow down key. Amongst other things you need it to change the trig mode when using the trig buttons in live record mode between chromatic, slot, slice, delay control, quick mute. Also, to change the part (kind of like OT lingo for kit) the key is required. It must be a PITA to not be able to switch between modes/parts smoothly and reliably. YMMV and of course if you can get it really cheap it could be worth it to have it fixed yourself.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for a quick response! How difficult would it be to fix the key? I googled some but didn’t find any detailed descriptions…

I couldn’t give you a qualified answer. It could involve desoldering and resoldering a button on the PCB. For the rotary encoders I’ve seen someone on YT explain the process. But that’s pure guesswork. Even Elektron themselves would probably ask you to send in the OT, which, depending on your location and the OT’s warranty status, will cost you approx. €80,- for shipping back and forth, €40,- per half hour of labour, plus parts (based on a quote I got a while ago).

2 Likes

Ok, thanks!

1 Like

Open up your OT and get some Contact Electric Spray and apply it on your down arrow key. Should be fine since then.

Absolutely not! You will destroy the Octatrack. You might clean it with isopropanol, but it’s usually not an issue with oxide or dirt. More likely a mechanical failure.

Contact Support for spare parts and let us or a local professional replace the button mechanism.

/Olle

8 Likes

Hi, whats wrong with Contact ? It is isopropanol based, safe to use on all circuit boards. It fixed my two second hand OT “sticky” buttons damaged with some cola spillage by previous user. So I don’t understand why it should destroy his Octatrack.

1 Like

If you don’t use isopropanol, you need to mention the product that you recommend and not just Contact Electric Spray. Some products that go by the name of Contact Electric Spray includes stuff that leaves a residue and is not meant to be used on circuit boards, but on connectors and leave a protective layer for example in a dirty environment like an engine. If you don’t know what it needs to do and what it needs not to do, just buy isopropanol, and you will be safe.

/Olle

2 Likes