Octatrack MIDI vs Digitakt MIDI

On the DN and DT you can set any MIDI CC message to be sent from the MIDI tracks. But those 8 CC assignments have fixed CC numbers for incoming MIDI messages.

For example, on the DT, even if you set CC1 (DATE ENTRY knob A) to send some other CC message, it will only respond to CC 70 for incoming MIDI. See manual, page 77.

3 Likes

yup! I mean sending a CC to the the DT (even CC70 in this case) doesn’t seem to get recorded as p-locks.
Maybe I’m doing something wrong. I’ll try some more things and get back on that.

Thanks for all the help guys

You have to send it to the auto channel and have the track you’re trying to record to active.

Near certain that’s your issue :slight_smile:

1 Like

Turns out I think I’m being retarded.
I didn’t even need it set to auto channel!? :smiley:
I think I must have been sending it to the OVERBRIDGE PLUGIN rather than the actual MIDI Device.
Well there you go! Had no idea I could record midi CCs into the step sequencer and I’ve owned the DT for nearly 2 years ;o

So I’m assuming it works the same way on OT :smiley:

1 Like

CC1-8 values can be live recorded sending CC70-77 to DT, on auto channel, or midi track channel (MIDI CONFIG > CHANNELS). The midi channel set in midi track SRC page is not taken in account for reception.

OT can record both ways : any CC assigned in CTRL1/2 setup pages, or fixed CCs (CC DIRECT CONNECT off).

2 Likes

Reviving an old thread : I might possibly switch from a Digitakt to an Octatrack and I really like the MIDI sequencer of the Digitakt.
On the Digitakt, I’m currently using a custom template on which each of the 8 knobs is mapped to control specific CC values of the Nord Drum 3. That helps me to quickly create sounds from scratch on the ND3. Could that be possible on the Octatrack too?
From what I understand, by switching from a DT to an OT, I would loose one CC knob and gain 2 CC LFO, is that it ?

You get 10 assignable CCs (plus PB and AT), 3 LFOs, Midi arp, then up to 4 notes per step, Velocity and note length, trig conditions, probability, swing, microtiming, per midi track.

I did have a digitakt for while, but never used the midi sequencer so cant comment. Id imagine its identical to the digitone midi sequencer = 8 assignable CCs, plus AT, MW, BC, PB. 1 LFO. Note, velocity, length etc, per midi track.

1 Like

Sounds silly, but I only see 7 knobs on the Octatrack. I would have expected 7 CCs…

Its also in the manual.
To answer your question, yes you can make a template to control your Nord

2 Likes

Oh I see, it’s on two menu pages. Thank you for the photo evidence…
Having 2 extra CCs would be greatly appreciated (I already know which parameters I would add).
However (and like on the DT), I guess there’s no such thing as midi retrig on the OT.

No retrig but you can use the arp for that. Which is P lockable and LFO modulatable.

2 Likes

Oh! I never cared much about arpeggiators but that seems to be quite something else.

The octatrack arp makes every other arp seem like a joke.

Maybe check also midi octaves: iirc DT can go up/down to 2 octaves, and OT only up/down to 1 octave.
Been a long time without playing with these two machines so I maybe totally wrong.

OT midi arp range ± 8 octaves.

2 Likes

FYI - The scale functionality on DT is better than on the OT. On DT you have multiple scales with the keyboard fold option which is nice to record midi notes. OT has only scales available for the arpeggiator, but not when you play chromatically.

2 Likes

Not quite correct.
Scales apply wether arp is active or not.
Out of scale notes played, snap to the next correct in scale note.

No visible representation on the unit though, so no ‘fold’ option.

2 Likes

Oops very true. Thanks for correcting :kissing_heart:

I’ll add midi tracks Program Change implementation is better on Digis. Per step possibility. On Octatrack, it is at the beginning of the pattern only, and it requires a pattern change.

Sync menu Program Change send is similar on both.

Digis have a better note length unit, in steps, and up to 128 steps IIRC.

Digis can have midi notes overlap, a trig with longer notes can continue to play if another trig is played. On OT previous trigs are cut by a new one.

7 Likes

Good to know. Merci beaucoup.

1 Like