Octatrack Midi Recording from External Synths

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is an easy answer but I can’t find the answer to this simple question.

Can you record midi notes/chords from an external synth into the Octatrack in realtime?

I’m trying to decide between an MPC Live or the new Octatrack MkII and this might be the deciding factor.

Thanks, :slight_smile:

As long as the external synth has midi out, yes.

1 Like

…and does it record aftertouch/velocity/note length or do you have to P-lock this manually?

Not sure on aftertouch, but velocity and note length get recorded. Polyphonic (four voice?) but only one length/velocity per step.

edit: I prefer to use a Keystep or similar mapped to the OT’s auto channel, and then have midi tracks mapped to the channels of synths. Then you can swap between synth by selecting the appropriate midi track.

4 Likes

It’s important to realize the octatrack is a step sequencer and not a piano roll. It works well for recording things like basslines but with chords often what plays back is not the same as what I play in. Manipulating the recorded steps is very easy so it’s quick to get what I want out of it but it’s very different than recording a performance.

3 Likes

thanks for the tip! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks very much for the advice, I might be leaning towards the MPC live now then. :slight_smile: