Octatrack + MIDI Pal = 8-voice polyphonic synth/sample player

So this is something I have always wanted to do:

I have no idea why the OT OS has not supported this (yet) - a simple “cycle-thru-channels” gives this machine tons of new applications I guess…

3 Likes

Nice!

Reminds me to my experiments with the combination with the Nord G2 OT as Polyphonic sampler (8 voices) with Nord G2

There are offcourse more midi processors wich can do this.

1 Like

I do something similar using the Retrokits RK002 and the Digitakt. Fun to get something going and then go nuts with control all!

See also the Blokas Midihub, which is a very clever MIDI interface with a nice app for setting up patches. It can do the dispatching described in this video and lots of other things too.

3 Likes

I also used Midipal, now I use the RK002, a special script allowing to hold notes (round robin for others) and send all CCs. Ideally I’d modify the script to add Velocity to VOL, and Notes Off to Hold=min, in order to play and record with velocity, and record note end !

To extend notes range : slices !
5 octaves and 3 semitones, 64 notes.

2 Likes

Slices! Yes, BUT: you still somehow need to remap the MIDI keyboard then because OT will only respond to 2 octaves, let’s say c2-c4 - so if you want extend range to say c5-c7 then you need to trick OT to believe it is still receiving c2-c4 messages but different slices while on the keyboard you are actually playing the upper c5-c7 range ??? Thanks for clarifying this.

Better functionality for half the money.

2 Likes

may i ask what MIDI interface you use to alter the firmware? Cause the RK002 is picky because of its MIDI powered chip.

USD $20= El Cheapo Midi USB from Amazon works for me.

1 Like

Not in Slice mode. :wink:
Follow TM or Map Track
Slices start from note C0 (12) IIRC.
I wonder if it also works with Slice mode off, in order to use 116 equal slices (128 start positions -12)

UM1

Can definitely do this stuff with the Blokas Midihub. If you want to map velocity or aftertouch to things I would recommend using the LFOs rather than direct mapping, so you can more easily choose what they modulate on fly and by how much. For velocity mapping I’ve done it before and I recall needing to invert the data before transforming it to an LFO depth CC, and using a custom LFO shape line. Can’t remember exactly how I had it set up but the idea was to apply a negative offset on the AMP parameter when lightly playing.

1 Like

hmm, the specs at roland look a bit uncanny. No mentioning if all 5pin are soldered and the 1st&5th pin 12v powered (unlikely for a iPad compliant cable). Likely just the classic 3 pins (G/+/-) and therefore RK002 incompatible for firmware magic.https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/um-one_mk2_brochure.pdf
Maybe there is a misunderstanding, the RK002 needs extra power (Power-over-MIDI see: uMIDI: MIDI pinout) to drive its chipset so that it would accept firmware uploads. Otherwise it will only run in “use” mode.
Phaa, i solder that crap myself. faster