Octatrack - MIDI Note Offs?

Hi,
So it seems that be default the OT exhibits the pretty flaky behaviour of sending 0 velocity Note On messages instead of proper Note Off messages at the end of MIDI notes.

Anyone know of a way to switch it to standard Note Off behaviour? I’ve searched through the config menus but perhaps I am missing something.

Cheers,
sk

Isn’t that what all Midi gear does? I didn’t know the Midi standard had anything else to offer for note offs. I don’t think there’s any way to change that on the OT.

I’m afrid you will need a MIDI processor, something like the MIDI solutions event processor or bomebox, to do this.

Indeed there are two common methods for sending note offs in MIDI, velo 0 and a proper note off byte. Such a shame the manufs never agreed on a singular, industry standard way.

3 Likes

Thinking of getting an OT. Just realised this will probably create frustrations with Nord Drum 2 notes that have a long decay… damn. Anyone have experience with this?

Yeah, the MIDI standard provides MIDI note-off messages for a pretty clear reason.
OK cool thanks, just checking if the OT offered a way to switch to proper note offs. Let’s hope that the OS gets a proper rework to fix a few of these outstanding bugs before being retired to the “too hard” pile (anyone taking odds?)

@handed I have note used the Nord Drum, but I do have two synths that don;t deal so well with 0 velocity notes as replacements for proper Offs (Virus Indigo & Plankton Ants, fwiw).

Cheers
sk

1 Like

I’m wondering if this is what is causing my DoubleDrummer to retrigger when the key is released in chromatic mode, maybe it doesn’t know how to deal with this behavior.

That’s not flaky.

A Note On message with its velocity set to zero is exactly the same as a Note Off message per the MIDI spec.

The reason Note Off messages exist is to allow release velocity, which not very many synths support.

2 Likes

Very likely. Read this topic for the probable solution:

2 Likes

MIDI-clock is allowed to occur anywhere in the MIDI-stream according to the MIDI specification. A note message that normally looks like eg. 0x90 0x60 0x7f is allowed to be interrupted by MIDI-clock (0xf8). In other words, it is fully possible that the sequence could look like 0x90 0xf8 0x60 0x7f and that’s totally fine according to the MIDI standard. Based on your error description and how the Octatrack works this is likely what was causing the issue.