Octatrack MIDI In vs. Thru

Hi everyone,

Currently my chain from end to end is:

Keystep > Digitone MIDI In — Digitone MIDI Out > OT MIDI In — OT MIDI Thru > Digitakt MIDI In.

I’d like to incorporate a Launchcontrol XL into my setup to control the OT, however currently the In port of the OT is being used. When I tried to switch things around yesterday and have the DN send clock only into the Thru port of the OT (instead of the In port), it wasn’t receiving anything.

I’ve currently got it to receive clock and transport, but when I tried to use the thru port last night, just as I am with the Digitakt, it wasn’t receiving or reacting to anything.

Does anyone know how I can chain this properly, or if I’m missing something here with the Octatrack? Ideally I’d like to plug in the USB host to the In of the Octatrack, and plug in the MIDI Out of the DN to the Thru of the OT.

The thru port is only an output

Does the launch XL have midi in or thru?

That is not possible, a midi thru-port is an output only, not some sort of parallel jack hardwired to the input, like one might find some audio devices.

You must use the input.

Not possible either. Physically, and electronically impossible. Could you just tell us the exact chain you are trying to set-up?

3 Likes

I was going to use a USB Host, so it would only be Out.

I see. Thank you for clearing that up. Does that mean there is no way I can use the Launchcontrol with my current chain setup? If I can, do you know how I may go about that?

Need more information. You do not grasp the basics (yet :wink: ) so please elaborate… what do you mean by “USB host”? The OT doesn’t do midi over USB. Only file transfers.

1 Like

I mean with using one of these:

I want to use the Launchcontrol to send MIDI Out to the OT In, while also keeping the clock from the Digitone to the OT.

A midi merger could work for this.

2 Likes

Can you elaborate?

You’d be better off with a iConnectivity Mio2 or up

1 Like

DN Midi Out & Launchcontrol Midi Out into midi merger. Midi merger out to octatrack Midi In.
Check Google for midi merger. And get some basic infos about midi in generell.

2 Likes

Cuckoo has this video where he talks about the midi merge box at around the hour and 14 minute mark, it’s where I first heard of them

1 Like

Okay, will do. Thanks for the help everyone.

4 posts were split to a new topic: Octatrack : Midi Loopback Question(s)