Octatrack Midi CC pedal for Pickup Machine use

No Play / Stop?

Just digging through the features and it supports MCU protocol for sure which doesn’t help the OT. I’d have to dig further to see about proper transport controls. It has an Octatrack pickup machines profile built into it:

”Elektron Octatrack Pickup Machine: Navigate tracks and control Looper.“ - profile C5

That may be useful for this application. It seems like a fairly robust MIDI pedal solution for $310 CAD

1 Like

+1
Mc6 and never look back

1 Like

Hello Juan,
How did you program the mastermind lt for the pattern up/down function? I got it done but having problems accessing banks after H when octa’s midi out is connected to mastermind lt.
Thank you!:slight_smile:

I just gone the Mc8 and quickly found out that it doesn’t transmit Midi note values. I would love to know how did you configure yours with OT, what pages and snapshots you might have programmed? Do you think can i bypass OT’s native arranger with those 16 midi messages per click?

Am abroad the coming weeks so no OT or MC here… but you can send note on/off msgs.

I have no idea, never went that far into it (yet). I try my best to keep things simple :wink:

I have the Morningstar MC6 and it’s working really well with PU machines. Recommended. There does seem to be a slight la,g between foot press and record, but that could be user error.

I recently got a Morningstar MC8 and it’s great, agreed! So easy to set up, super robust construction. One gotcha is that for notes, the default velocity in the Morningstar editor is 0, which OT (correctly) interprets as a “note off”, so remember to change that when programming. Took me a while to figure out why OT wasn’t responding…

The lag you mentioned is intentional so that double-footswitch shortcuts work, otherwise it would immediately interpret it as a single footswitch press before your foot has a chance to press down the other switch. This can be dealt with either by adjusting footswitch sensitivity or setting “looper mode”, check the manual for details.

7 Likes

Wow, this comment about the lag totally makes sense, will try it asap, thanks.

Hi ya,

I am glad to hear that you got into the MC8.
I am trying to configure the damn thing and got stuck straight away :slight_smile:
I would like to link the crossfader to the expression pedal, but I see something HEX DEC instead of a simple CC protocol. Can this be done? Sorry, I am a bit of a noob.

If you’re referring to the Control Change mappings in the OT manual, just use the DEC (decimal) value and ignore the HEX value.

3 Likes

Thanks Peter. It took me about an hour to figure this out by myself after watching a dozen videos, trying to reverse engineer their midi mapping, Ugh.

The manual is tormenting to me.

Tell me please, how do you change banks and pattern with MC?
Also is it possible to select and execute a row in the arrangement mode?

Do you mean “what MIDI messages select banks and patterns on the OT”?

If so, previously on Elektronauts:

and

Using MIDI messages? No.

4 Likes

It’s possible to play a particular step of Arranger with SPP messages. Not simple.

SPP messages with midi controller? - #22 by sezare56

1 Like

Hey i have the mc6, ARMKII, OTMKII.

On the MC, you use the PC scroll up/down commands and make sure they are sent to the OT on the correct midi channel. Set OT up in MIDI->sync settings.

But i think ive only done this with the mc6+rytm. Also, just as an fyi…pc scroll doesnt “know” what bank/pattern the OT is on. So one must physically scroll up or down to the desired bank/pattern if OT is not on first bank pattern 1…Thats more of an aside:)…

Hope that’s on track of what you are looking for.

When I first got my OT, that’s what I thought too. The OT is complex and so is the manual but once used to it, I find it extremely well done, especially when you start to use all the hyperlinks.

1 Like

On the MC8, I set up a bank called SETLIST and when pressed it takes you to a submenu for SONG 1 to 7 (the 8th button is dedicated to be take me to the root level INDEX menu). So in each of those SONGS, when clicked you enter another dedicated BANK to the song, this time each button corresponding to a Pattern on the Octatrack. I am using the PROGRAM CHANGE command on MC8 and starting with PC Number 0 to call A01. PC Number 1 would call A02 and on. In that clause, Midi is pointing to Octatrack, not to individual tracks.

As far as the song mode goes, rytm is not nearly as flexible as OT, so i put that beast as a slave to the OT and bob’s yer uncle. :slight_smile:

I don’t understand what this might mean.

The culprit is the abbreviations and technical lingo. Once you don’t know a few of the jargon, you are lost, not the stuff you can look up on a dictionary either. Someone has to literally patch one in. This forum has been great help to me.

Pc scroll up and pc scroll down are commands for the MC that are meant to be used to scroll through banks and patterns :slight_smile:

OT is master for me as well…but i had rytm first:).

Thanks again!
So, how do you implement this to action?