Octatrack loop clicks

Hello everyone , I bought octa yesterday, I’m sampling synths from Maschine mk3 to octa and I’m very confused because of click sounds :frowning: when im slicing and recorded loops and trying to sequence its very dirty cause of clicks :frowning: i read all everything about it and someone said use amp attack but its not solution i tried and its not helping :frowning: im so confused any solution about that ?

are you using zero crossings?

2 Likes

yes

try adjusting the end points of your samples

1 Like

its good when u have 8 or 16 slice to adjust start and end point but when u have 32 or more slices its hard and makes too much time to do it .

Thats life. Get used to it. :wink:

Flex machines seem to click less than static.
Octatracks auto detect zero crossings is never 100% accurate. I always listen with my ears and adjust manually.

Stereo samples are more difficult to find zero crossings (this is why people think digitakt ‘is better’ than octatrack)

It just takes practice. Adjusting sample start end points to get clickless samples gets quicker the more you do it.

1 Like

In AED you have to select L/R view, otherwise it snaps to shown channel zero-crossings only.

Zero-crossings can change loop or slices length. There can be clicky gaps.

AMP Attack = 1 can help, but sometimes it’s due to hold / release. You can decrease release with hold time (steps values) set to sample or slice length, minus 1.

9 Likes

This is such a useful and wise tip.

3 Likes

I realized it by chance. It wasn’t in the manual before I signaled it. :content:
The Elektron documentation thread - #98 by sezare56

Now it is :

To select a zero crossing on both channels, you need to select both channels in CHANGE VIEW

As @Microtribe said in some stereo samples there are a very few common zero crossings, so it’s better to keep only one channel and do it by ear.

5 Likes

In that case AMP.
Attack set to 1, Hold to a value lower that loop / slices (step values), and set release.
This definitely works.

You read about attack, but hold / release is important too : as OT is monophonic, sample’s end can be cut abruptly when retriggered.

2 Likes

I’ll precise again using Align Markers to Zero Crosses, with Slice Grid and Create Linear Locks can make things even worse, because of slice lengths variations, implying audio gaps.
And this option doesn’t snap to zero crossings on both channels.

If you slice a perfectly looping sample, with slice grid and linear locks without “Align Markers”, it doesn’t click with default settings.

1 Like

Just found the fade in/out selection in the audio editor.

Select a very small section at the start of the sample, apply fade in, then do the same for the end with fade out. When the sample loops, it acts like a crossfade in abelton.

No clicks.

4 Likes

This is what I do, always works.

1 Like

Can’t believe I didnt know about this. Solves the stereo loops’R clickin’ thing.

Also delved deeper into the audio editor, man theres some cool shit in there! Save selection as a seperate sample! Instabounce. Subtract L-R amazing, really good for vinyl samples.

This combined with my latest pick up machine experiments means I’m one happy octatrack owner.

2 Likes

Yeah I love AED edit, rotate position to start, silence selection, etc come in really handy for destructive edits.

Summing to Mono, fades, normalising. Its all there, every useful thing.

Octatrack provides.

2 Likes