Octatrack: Is buying this a mistake in 2021?

Theres no such thing as mistakes. Only learning opportunities.(corny but true esp in creativity).

2 Likes

I agree with you, but I think the core of the OT is creative audio mangling through fx, sequencing, modulation, using pre-recorded or live samples. So, in my experience it is less about the OT doing many different things “in parallel”, but more about how far or deep you want to go when using it.

And the girls love it.

3 Likes

I was just point out the obvious fallacy in your statement about machines that can perfrom multiple tasks being poor at them.

Cubase? Meh.
Creator? Sure. :wink:

In seriousness, MIDI timing isn’t as stable as people remember it to be. Slaving can be problematic. Master clock accuracy can vary a lot, depending on the BPM used, because of limitation of 8 bit hardware timers.

Still, fun stuff. I keep a Mega ST around, for when I get that nostalgia kick. Need to upgrade to USB floppy though.

2 Likes

High hopes for this thing to be the ultimate MIDI companion for OT:

2 Likes

When I had an octatrack I thought the learning curve was very much ok. What frustrated me though was the saving process where always had to be very careful to store all that you wanted. And losing work through a, in my eyes, convoluted saving process, was annoying. It never felt as a safe device for keeping what I had created.
Sound quality was good if i got creative with mangling. But for playing back a recording 1 to 1 with the original it always sounded flat compared to the original. Difference wasnt huge, but still a disappointment. Like using a cheap old audio interface: you can record perfectly fine, but youll lose a little magic in the process.
If thats a problem does depend on your user case. For mangling sounds lovely. For big n wide recording not so much to my ears.

3 Likes

Back in the day I did some timing tests using the ST with Cubase and Notator, average midi jitter was around 0.2milliseconds, which is similar to the Octatrack*, the ARmk2* and AK* fare even better at around 0.08milliseconds.

TBH I think anything sub 2 milliseconds is acceptable to most people.

*Triggering internal sounds, I did not test external midi.

3 Likes

I sold my Korg Poly61m for $80, that was definitely a mistake.

3 Likes

After practicing hella restraint for years and years, I think I may cop the black OT MK2 with my next paycheck since there is a bonus on it. Do I need another sampler? Hell no! Do I want the OT? YES. What have I done?

4 Likes

But youve learnt something :slight_smile:

I’m quite sure that OT is a much more capable and versatile companion for my AR and A4 than a DT. Especially when I look at postings like that:
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/the-octatracks-song-mode-is-dope-elektron-arranger-explained/162952/48

But again, without USB / Overbridge capabilities and considering the 2010 OT design and considering DT’s HW sampling / streaming limitations I’m afraid I have to wait for a successor that replaces current OT and DT. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

It’ll be 2022 soon…

2 Likes

Rename or new thread?

2 Likes

The machine is eternal

but are the CF pins eternal?

3 Likes

Yeah that’s a good question for Elektron

They were not already 10 years ago…

CF pins and encoders at the mercy of Thanos
(but they are more eternal than AR and A4 mk1 displays)

Fun fact - the ex-hurdy gurdy player of Coil came round to trim our garden a few months back.

Yes.

1 Like

Did he use a rotorvator?

10 Likes