Octatrack in quadraphonic PA?

Has anyone tried using an OT with a quadraphonic PA?

This machine could be uniquely useful for this. With some p-locking of one-shot sawtooth LFOs routed to BAL on tracks sending out the main L&R, and some p-locking of one-shot inverted sawtooth LFOs routed to BAL on tracks sending out the cue L&R, I’m pretty sure you could get some clockwise and counterclockwise 360° panning going at the same time. Kind of like what you can get going on the Ekdahl Quad Massager, with less immediacy (no joystick control) but more sequenceability.

Surely someone has tried something like this and induced an OOBE or two :helicopter:

5 Likes

Yep, it’s awesome. Did a performance with OT and some euro. Had polyrhythms panned out around the room that I could morph with scenes.

4 Likes

There you go, morphing the spatial structure of the room with the crossfader :alien:

I confirmed last night that it’s easy to get circular panning going with 4 tracks:

Use the studio config cue mode. Tracks 1, 2, 3, & 4 are routed to Main L, Main R, Cue L, & Cue R respectively (using BAL and track/cue LEV settings), and their AMP VOL levels are initialized to 0. Draw a triangle wave LFO for Track 1’s designer LFO, and then copy it to Tracks 2-4’s designer LFO slots and phase shift them (by nudging all the steps) by 90°, 180°, and 270° respectively. Route each track’s designer LFO to its AMP VOL parameter. Now set up a scene to morph the speed of those LFOs with the fader and make the room levitate.

12 Likes