Octatrack...ignore Aftertouch?

I’m having a problem when using a MIDI controller with aftertouch where recording a MIDI track results in trigger locks being set due to aftertouch transmission. From what I understand, CC Direct Connect on should only record what is set in Ctrl1 and 2 settings. I’ve tried with CC direct connect on and off, but in both states, I am getting trigger locks recorded (triggers turn green). Unfortunately, my MiniBrute 2 has no way to turn off AT transmission.

It is further confusing, because I think AT is not a CC value.

Any help would be appreciated.

Go to the midi control menu. There you can
set midi cc and note on/off.

Thanks for the reply, but all audio and cc settings are unchecked. Still records aftertouch (which is not a cc message).

As per the manual:

When in LIVE RECORDING mode and changing lockable parameters, lock trigs containing the locked parameters is added automatically to the sequencer

and there’s no way to defeat this for aftertouch so you have no choice other than filtering that out if you don’t want it. I can do that in my midi interface.

Aftertouch is part of the Channel Voice Messages. Other CVM’s are Note on/off events, CC’s, Pitchbend, and ProgramChange. AT is a specific subset of CVM, at the same level as, but not part of, CC’s

2 Likes

I have referenced the manual extensively, and there is barely mention of AT, other than it can be transmitted and received.

Unfortunately, I am using an AT enabled keyboard directly into the Octatrack, so I cannot filter MIDI data. Also no way to defeat it on the keys (Minibrute 2). As it stands, any MIDI input from the AT enabled keyboard results in most keys becoming trigger locks, as I am a bit ham handed. I guess I’ll have to work on my finesse… :slight_smile:

:wink:
But that won’t help much. Zero aftertouch is still a AT message. Time to consider either an advanced midi interface (preferably with standalone possibilities) or a midi events processor. If your plans don’t include a lot of gear to route midi to and from, a midi processor can solve a lot of issues. (But it’s not necessarily cheaper)

1 Like

Another stupid behavior. I checked with Pitch Bend, it records it even if disabled. I suppose it is the same behavior with AT.
Anyway I guess it doesn’t send it.

I doesn’t behave like this with CCs. It doesn’t record the corresponding CC if disabled.

Midi > Control concerns Audio tracks only (Audio is mentioned).

Same for Midi > Channels, concerns Audio tracks only, except Auto Channel (Audio is not mentioned).

Disabled where?

The way I read the manual, when in CC Direct Connect mode, only MIDI messages defined in Ctrl-1 and Ctrl-2 are received. You can set them all to a CC message that is not transmitted by your controller, which would essentially disable any CC messages not defined. Pitch Bend is a definable control message, but AT is not.

By default it is disabled. Enabled with Fn+Button press.

Definable where? :content:

Not true for Notes, and PB and AT apparently.

I was wrong, it records even if disabled.

Elektron products are usually not finished. :sketchy:

1 Like

You can define both PB and AT messages on the FX page when in midi mode, if that’s what you are referring too

1 Like

Yes, same for both.

It is worth than I thought. I could record trigless trigs from another channel.
Midi track set to channel 9, auto channel 11, controller set to channel 1 : I could record trigless trigs sending CC 31, selected in the CTRL1 page, but disabled.

I think that is for output. The way I read the manual, input CC reception in CC direct connect mode is defined in the page where you doubt click the FX button to enter Ctrl mode. But that’s only for CC messages.

With CC DIRECT CONNECT OFF, midi tracks respond to these CCs. That’s how I understand it.
Theorically it shouldn’t record PB / AT in that mode, but you need to send CC36/45 only to make CCs work.

It won’t record PB or AT in that mode, it’s a workaround. CC 36 and 45 are used to set the PB and AT values in the OT (FX page-midi mode). Once recorded, they are then sent on playback from the OT to the external device as PB and AT messages. Quite weird, but I think that this was done to avoid buffer overflow. PB and AT use lots of bandwidth and are 3 byte messages (status-msb-lsb, 14 bit) whereas CC’s are 2 byte messages (status-msb-7 bit).

CC 34 for PB, and CC 35 for AT.
CC 36 to 45 for CCs.

PB seems to be MSB only on OT, less data for sure.
I don’t know about AT I don’t use (don’t have appropriate gear unfortunately).

Could you try this?

Yes, correct, sorry

2 Likes

Btw I found a really anoying bug with above.
I’ll post it in the appropriate topic. :slightly_frowning_face:

@pinup57, would you try this?
Not very musical experiment.