Octatrack & iConnectivity iConnectMIDI4+ Set Up Clarification

Thank you very much to all. I shall report back in a while once I’ve worked with everything for a bit.

Much appreciated,
Jeff

I’ve got a similar setup and just got an iConnectMidi4+. This thread has been very useful.

The satisfaction of being able to control and modulate my OP1 from the OT is off the charts and the iConnectMidi has made it very straightforward. Going to practice adding AK and Circuit into the mix this evening, all controlled by the OT!

1 Like

Hi nooooddy and welcome to the thread. Thank you for chiming in on this discussion. I am curious, as you have a similar set up, if you would be so kind as to share some details about your system - how things are wired up and connected and perhaps any diagrams or pictures you might wish to share. I personally benefit from visual-learning and would be eager to see anything you wish to present. Thank you again for taking some time to contribute.

Jeff

I suggest watching this first to grasp the concept of the device and how it’s used according to it’s design…
There are more tutorials available on the Iconectivity website as well… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, Open_Mike. Shall do. And I am starting to arrange everything in Keynote to get an overall view and understanding of the layout.

Jeff

1 Like

Nice :+1:t2:
No strings, winds?:guitar::saxophone::violin::microphone:

Hi TonyDS,

This is an in-progress assembly of my live rig for performing dark electronic music. Strings and winds come into play on my home studio rig when I am doing underscore writing for production music libraries - Vienna Ensemble Pro, Kontakt, and oodles of libraries.

Jeff

1 Like

Dark electronic :ok_hand:t2::pray:t2:
I think it is going to work out nicely with that setup.
Would love to hear some later.
Cheers
Tony

OK… That’s a few more than the 9 devices in the original post, maybe some don’t have midi?

Anyway, the connections to make with an Iconnect for any setup is simple, you simply connect them all to the Iconnect.

Since there are only 4 din ports you’ll need to attach a powered (most likely athough if most of the usb devices have their own power you might be able to get away unpowered) usb hub.

All devices you have with usb midi connect to the hub, and whatever devices only have dins you attach to the 4 din pairs with 2 cables for each device. MIDI out from device to MIDI in on Iconnect, MIDI in from device to MIDI out on the Iconnect, using din pair 1 for one device, din pair 2 for another, etc…

The rest is configured using the software for the Iconnect. By default every device will send signals to all other devices, this can be used if you meticulously set channels and other midi settings on all devices, but it is not ideal.

The proper way and first step for setting up the iconnect is the port routing feature in the software. This enables midi to flow from one device to whatever other device or devices need to accept it, and blocks midi from going to where you don’t want it to go…

If you watch these and wrap your head around it you will be well on your way to a very functional awesome midi setup, and you’ll need to ask advice on “port routing” on Iconnect for your particular setup, but not on the connections. Me and other folks can help you with that but it is simply way too much to give you a step by step without first watching the videos, connecting everything to the Iconnect, and getting ready to learn how to use the “port routing”…

Once you do all that and make a good port routing, you will have a rocking midi setup… And from then on you don’t have to mess with the software and you can use your device standalone and just turn it on with your gear all the time and it will always work the same way as you configured it.

3 Likes

Thank you, Open_Mike. And my apologies for not clarifying. Yes, I fully plan to use a powered USB Hub. I have updated my layout planner: red connections are USB, green connections are the DIN.

Thank you so much. The videos are very helpful.

Jeff

1 Like

That’s your live rig !?
How many hands do you have :wink:

2 Likes

Is that the richie hawtin mixer? Also, what are you controlling with the launch control so? How are you routing the returns from the 3 fx boxes? Is this set up for studio only? Are you planning on using sequencers on each box or condense to using ot and dt to sequence others?

for this live setup and using everything you need 4 to 6 hands, 8 if you want to have a little chat/drink in between :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi Whikidazz,

Yes, that is the Allen & Heath Model One mixer and it is fantastic. The construction and build quality is first-rate. I am configuring the Launch Control XL to control the Octatrack. I am planning to run the Analog Rytm direct into the Effectrode Compressor and from the Compressor out into the mixer. The Timeline Delay and the Big Sky will be routed to the Aux Returns on the Mixer. I am planning on having the Octatrack be the central “brain” of everything with regard to sequencing. I may end up utilizing the sequencer on the Digitakt to also handle some sequences.

Jeff

1 Like

TonyDS, LOL! Yes, it is ambitious, I admit, but I like the challenge. Perhaps I am evolving into becoming the “Rush” of electronic music. I love the band Rush as I’m also a guitar player and have always appreciated their technical prowess. I’ve seen them live several times and their multi-instrument skills are exceptional. I’ve definitely been influenced by that.

Jeff

2 Likes

Had this one in stock, but I should add much more gear ! :slight_smile:
elektron-octatrack-1556764

5 Likes

@sezare56

You should put Cenk’s face on this guy and add a couple more machines!

2 Likes

Also, dude has a kind of Shaggy-vibe from Scooby Doo

1 Like

The information in this topic is very usefull. One question :slight_smile:
Is the iConnectivity mio 4 also suitable to do this?