Octatrack helps you out

Something I never noticed before because I don’t often work this way, but it is pretty awesome so I thought I’d share it.

So I took a bunch of samples, 16 step loops, about 70 or so, I load 2 loops to 2 flex tracks, then I decide to slice them into 16, then layout the 16 trigs, then arrange linear locks, nice, but all pretty standard Octatrack stuff.

Next I decide to randomise the slice trigs, cool.

Then I load different samples to the two tracks, but obviously they need slicing, go into slice menu and select create slice grid, cool, it remembered that last time I sliced to 16 and offers that, yep slice, thanks.

Now I randomise the locks.

I repeat the loading, slicing, create linear locks, a bunch of times, and every time I go into the slice menu, the OT seems to know what I want to do, whether it be slice to 16, create linear locks or randomise locks. It is almost like context sensitive AI at work guessing what I want to do. Bloody amazing!

Anyone noticed this before?

8 Likes

I noticed it too, but isn’t it just the last option you used?

1 Like

1 Like

Yes it’s a very handy feature, i love it!
But it’s not realy that ‘smart’ as in: the OT reads your mind :wink:

You need to enable ConsCiousness Direct Connect in the Control/Mind Sequencer menu…:

4 Likes

I know, I was just being daft.

No, and yes, if you select a new slot then slice, then do random locks, then select the next slot open slice menu it offers slice 16 rather than random locks, if you then do linear locks instead, then move to new slot open slice it will offer slice 16, then slice return to slice menu it will now offer linear locks. So yes it remembers what you last selected but on a per menu basis, rather than some default setting. I think it is pretty handy when working with lots of samples where you want to work on a continuous basis.

1 Like

Clearly the developers had some workflow thoughts, glad they did. One of the many small ‘smart’ things why i love the OT!

3 Likes

Yep … I use this with the recording buffers. The “new sample” is a recording of one of the audio inputs. Generating a variation of the incoming audio and/or variing the locks can create amazing musical results.

Example: One of the OT MIDI-tracks controls a synth. The audio of the synth is redirected to one of the recording buffers, and slicing and locking is done as you describe … it’s not really self generating music but has a touch of it. If the pattern and pattern lengths are chosen well its fun to listen what happens … :smiley:

3 Likes