Octatrack: Help me to love it

You don’t have to love it.
If it never really clicked with it, you don’t have to force yourself at all costs, sell it and move forwards.

troll

The OT is the only Elektron I have ever owned, I sold my first one in 2014, and I’ll never do that again. At this stage, the only thing that I find to be somewhat problematic is the pitch shift algorithm is not very good, but it is there. Even Live’s looper device doesn’t have pitch shift without changing the playback speed of the loop.

The OT can be many things. I think one of the magical things about the OT is some of its ways of working as it applies to a person’s workflow seem only to emerge after a considerable amount of time.

2 Likes

Could you give an example of that?

For me, an example would be this:

It took me a bit of time to discover how I wanted to link various patterns with different parts. Right now I’m usually not using more than four patterns per bank (each bank is a separate composition for me), so I’ve linked each pattern in a bank with its own part. But obviously I’ve still got 12 patterns left in the bank to work with if I have four patterns used. I don’t necessarily need to use them, but they are there, and my individual way of using this structure is still emerging.

Another example is the gradual process of discovery I’ve experienced with integrating the use of pickup machines looping my bass or my tanbur with OT sequencer and the various things it can do with both preprogrammed sequences and sequencing the audio I’ve just live sampled.

I hope these examples help.

2 Likes

What’s your workflow for sampling instruments? I have so far only failed… are you sampling while you play something else and then slice while you play everything together?

you can have a pre-sliced flex machine assigned to the recorder buffer, so there is no need to slice the sample after sampling it :wink:

1 Like

I use pickup machines because I’m a string player used to a looper workflow, but I do want to explore other live sampling techniques at some point. What part didn’t work for you? Are you sampling directly to flex (manual or recorder trig) or using pickups?

What if the battery run down?

Send it to Elektron, and they will replace it.

Hello and sorry to make the topic coming back from nowhere but I need to know, can I use samples with 192 khz and 24 bit definition to timestretch ? Thanks !

You can try, I think it would be played at 44.1KHZ, but slower, with lower pitch (2.17 octaves lower ?).
No miracle !