Octatrack freezes when left alone for a while

Yep having freeze issues still on OS 1.25H.
2 crashes today so far:

• once the quickload sample browser freeze
  • once in MIDI mode selecting MIDI Channel of the MIDI Track

please fix those bugs elektron.
2 many crashes :confused:

1 Like

Are you guys keeping the Octatrack plugged into USB ? I also experienced various freezing issues, but these stopped when I removed the USB cable. The USB cable was plugged into a hub btw.

1 Like

Noop. Shit started happening after installing 1.25H. Latest development: After a blinking start screen, we now have a blank (lite) screen.
Now Elektron says it’s probably an issue with internal connections, or the internal power supply. Have to sent it to Sweden. The Octatrack is from 2012, first owner with a maximum of approx. 250 hours.
Minimum costs: €120 :joy:

I’ll downgrade soon with 1.25E because of pre-sliced.

Done. :wink:

Do you have it in the “Trance” setting?

Maaan good observation… you might be right i didnt have any crashes last 3 days and i never had the USB plugged in… This could even make sense technically… various reasons including too weak power supply and DC buffering for the different peripherals (CF CARD, USB Chip) in all combination of modes. A simple ground loop causing currents, or the USB powering somehow but i guess these pins, GND and VCC arent even connected… hopefully…
I am by far not an expert on this… but one thing i do know is that these CPUs are ususally really sensitive to spikes +/- and need a really nice and even voltage… otherwise they freeze exactly like our Octatracks…
I might be wrong but seems to me, that freeze bugs related to filesystem access and so CF CARD access almost dominate the topic…

Well long story short i gonna observe this for while now… more as soon as i got any finding.
Thank you dustmotes keen observation!

1 Like

I just want to report that I don’t think os H is the problem. I’ve been running H for quite some time and have never had a glitch or freeze. I’ve had the OT on for over 12 hours before, no problems. I never have the usb connected unless I’m doing a file transfer, so could be something there…

Edit: Also I always do an empty reset after os upgrade and then resave my project with the new firmware, don’t know if that helps…

I recently had a freeze after the OT was on about 6 hours. Came back to it after some customers left the shop and 'twas frozen. The sequencer would move but the pickup machines wouldn’t play nor would my flex machines. I am running os H

Sorry that’s a bummer and we certainly don’t want that happening but it sounds like more of a bug or glitch than a “freeze”. Freeze to me is when the device is locked up and doesn’t respond to anything… Did you try a part reload or switch to a new bank or pattern?

I did not reload because I’d been switching machines all day… Pickups gettin switched to thru and flex machines and back. I didn’t have any parts saved so I just had to restart and lose what I had. No biggie. I rarley save anything and it all goes away on power down. I was just commenting above to note that I’ve had the bug or glitch or whatever causes the tracks to no longer function. It works without a hitch almost everytime I use the OT

Right on, I just like to get specific because I still haven’t given up on support tickets and if we can narrow this stuff down and replicate it, we have a case for support… Or at least we know exactly what to avoid and how to remedy if possible…

2 Likes

Good stuff. I noticed this when I first bought my unit. Together with the lack of immediate progress, this nearly caused me to return the unit. But no crashes in 12 months, and now it’s my favourite piece of hardware. I just have a CF reader - it’s actually really quick to backup / transfer files that way.

While doing full CF backup via USB my OT frozen multiple times last week.