Octatrack Filter Sound

hey @TRAINTRACS , there’s a nice workaround, simply choose an empty scene, and copy your existing scene to it, then xfade vol to 0 of the respective track, and instantly the audio is cut off (or you turn down the volume of it or filter it out with the scene-lock etc.) if you choose this scene for the respective arrangement row

1 Like

Is it possible to control the filter distortion via midi?

AFAIK the filter distortion is not assignable so i doubt it’s controllable via MIDI, you have to check the CC chart.
You can control the distortion of the LoFi FX though.

no

You can control Vol as distortion gain. Set distortion to desired value before. Does the trick for me.

6 Likes

5 Likes

I think the Octatrack filter sounds really good. I mostly sample some synth stuff from my novation Peak and then filter it down on the Octatrack. Having samples with all these high frequencies let’s you control everything from OT for e.g. transitions. Comparing the digital OT filter to the analog filter on the novation Peak, they have a different character but both sound very authentic. In a blind test I would not put one over the other.

1 Like

I like transitioning on OT by using scenes on filter, with hi pass filter really cranked and lo pass almost fully closed, resonance pretty high. What‘s the easiest way to recreate that in Ableton? Is there a stock filter that‘s comparable or do I have to add two filters and set one to high and one to low mode? Sorry for the stupid question.

What you’re describing reminds me of the “fade to grey” effects chain. There’s an added delay in there that you can take out but I think it would be pretty close to what you’re describing.

1 Like