Octatrack Feature Requests [closed]

So be able to slice based on Bars and Beats?

Sure that would be cool, what I have noticed say if you have a perfect loop you can slice on bar or beats as it will divide accordingly based on the length of the file. However If the sample is not a quantized loop but may be in tempo this won’t work. What I would like to see is a reference grid of the bar and beat values in the editor and it would also be great to slice on bars and beats from the start of the sample at the specified bpm.

1 Like

I think I get it. As my loops are edited or quantized records, I don’t have that problem.

Workaround : In Audio Editor, you can make slices from a Trim selection :
TRIM PAGE > Start / End
SLICES > Create slice grid

this would be way cool to easily achieve quantisable looping samples of 8, 16 or even 32 bars.

Possible suggestion: maybe set the Sample Bar/Beat display as an option in the Project Settings, so that it is not shown for Users who don’t require the feature.

1 Like

New Effect Request: Trance Gater.

maybe the effect could be designed as a double arpeggiator with different options for arp length, variance and direction in the effect panel settings and interface window rotaries.

the “arpeggiators” in fact only working on gating length and strength, rather than actual notes.

also make both “arpeggiators” inversable.

possibly include 3 envelope settings for each gated silence.

bonus: user adjustable gate arp pattern length

1 Like

I already slice based on Bars and Beats; so it shouldn’t be that hard to implement.

2 Likes

LED Color change per each track.

An option or machine to link tracks, like a neighbor machine but with a sample loaded that triggers from the same row of trigs. For drum layering. Obviously I can use two tracks and set trigs on both with the sequencer and resample but it would be nice to be able to just trigger them both from one track. If it’s possible to do conditional neighbor trigs it should be simple to make two tracks trigger from one sequence

2 Likes

The Beat timestretch algorithm is brilliant for drums. And the normal timestretch algorithm is great for synths.

But for basslines that contain deep sine bass sounds with resonance, held notes, slower tempo, I believe a new timestretch algorithm designed specifically for Bass could be a welcome feature, if any new features were to be introduced.

4 Likes

There is a way to create gate effects, but it only works when you work with samples: Let’s say you have a sample that is 64 steps long. Go into the OT intern audio editor and create a slice grid with 64 slices. Create a linear grid, and activate slices in the playback setup. Every trigger you press should play the corresponding slice. Activate all triggers. The sample should play as it was one piece. The trick is, that you go into the AMP menue of the sample and adjust the „hold“ value. A value shorter then 1 should (in this case/example) be set and the REL value needs to short enough. When you now play the track the sample should be cut off after every step. Experiment with the release value. Of cours you can retrig some slices multiple times in the playback menu with „RTRG“ and maybe adjusters the „RTIM“ value.

It is possible that you use a scene for all of this. Then you can use the scene fader to seamlessly glide into your trance gate. Scene A plays all slices normal / like one long sample and scene B plays the gated sample.
If you want a trance gate from the sound of your synth you need to record it and play the gated part as a sample.

2 Likes
  1. Trig mode persist for specified track, so that you can change tracks freely but have the currently selected trig mode set to whatever track you want, for example if you have chromatic mode enabled and you want to play live on track 1 but be tweaking filter in track 2.

2. Trig conditions order personalisation, so that you can choose which order the TRC are in, it can be a ball ache scrolling through all the % to get to x/x

3. Disable midi note actions - the ability to turn off midi note reception for record buffers etc, it is a pain to be in the wrong octave and activate a function unknowingly.

4. Plays free option to start sequencer, would be handy for live performance.

5. Trig conditions for recorder trigs, and possibly also slide and swing trigs.

6. NOT x/x trig conditions, eg do not play 1st pass out of 4 (_1/4)

7. Overdub rec trig type for regular track recorders, not just pickups.

8. Input threshold rec trig type

9. Tuning readout in AED when setting loop

10. Qwerty preference naming option

11. Scales for chromatic mode

12. Default project templates eg 8xFlex, 8xStatic, Mixer, DJ, Looper, Samplist, user 1-8 with names

13. Quick view/edit for TRC, hold trig and SRC(mkII) or PLAYBACK(mkI) to edit trig conditions

14. Fill A and B - this would be killer I think, to initiate a fill at the moment (OS1.30D) the user presses down or up and page, but if the scene A and B buttons were used to initiate a fill it would be a one handed operation…
    Now also why not have TRC for separate fills for A button and B button, a tap of A or B and page would initiate the fill instantly (maybe selectable quantise option in personal menu) and a hold of A or B and page would have the fill for as long as the button combo is pressed.

5 Likes

The ability to open a menu DIRECTLY by pressing a button, even if a setup menu is open. When you choose midi mode, setup status last.

For now, you have to press no, or redo button combination. Boring and stupid behaviour, same for A4. Workflow killer.

It’s like I can’t open a door because the door of another room is opened. :fury:

5 Likes

LOL at pic. True dat.

You can turn off midi note ins in the midi settings to stop things accidentally being triggered. I’m sure of it, I have to do it to use my OTs together

I thought Audio Note In set to off turns off all midi note reception not just rec trigs? So you’re saying I can still play chromatic or trig playback with it set to off?

Quite sure you can’t play samples with external midi notes in that case.
You still should be able to play trigs in chromatic mode, with OT trigs.

Yes that is what I remember last time I tried it, but it was a long time ago. I find it so unusable that I only ever have clock going into my OT but it would be cool to be able to play samples from midi without worrying what octave I am in and the possibility of triggering a recorder when not desired.

Oh okay my bad I get what you mean, thought you meant generally turning it off. Good suggestion, I don’t use an external keyboard with OT but it would be a useful option. It’s been a while but iirc that might just be why I stopped bothering trying to

2 possibilities : be careful with notes / midi channels, or use a midi processor to filter notes lower than chromatics.

1. Fill A and B - this would be killer I think, to initiate a fill at the moment (OS1.30D) the user presses down or up and page, but if the scene A and B buttons were used to initiate a fill it would be a one handed operation…

Now also why not have TRC for separate fills for A button and B button, a tap of A or B and page would initiate the fill instantly (maybe selectable quantise option in personal menu) and a hold of A or B and page would have the fill for as long as the button combo is pressed.

1 Like