Octatrack Feature Requests [closed]

Thank You @sezare56 you’re right… It’s odd that the volume knob controls the headphone level.
Could Elektron add a user preference for this? Thank you.

Hardware “problem”.

No, it is hardwired to control the headphone output. (no digital control over it)

2 Likes

Oh… such an odd way, coz on other machines I can control the whole volume…

I found it to be really strange at first, but my guess is it’s for a DJ style set up where you’re only listening to the cue outs in the headphones. Take some tracks out of the main mix and send them to the cue, mess with them, put them back to the mains and have the crowd like :content:

Never tried it personally but I assumed that was the idea for a separate volume for headphones.

1 Like

OK, we’re obviously not going to get an Octatrack 2 any time soon, if at all. So how about a nice shiny V2 operating system? Replete with wonderful new and updated sequencing features. Microtiming entire tracks, prog-change on p-locks, better chord facility, scenes in midi-tracks, probability algo’s on p-locks, swing on arps, maybe a nice digital FM machine for shits n giggles. Surely there’s more that could be done to make this great box greater - and with a sense of up-to-dateness.

Crikey Elektron, throw the bleeding Octafans a bone so we don’t feel left out of all the latest Elektron marvelousness. Please give us a V2 OS so we can all cheer in unison. Just askin’.

You’re essentially asking for a (near enough) complete rewrite of the firmware. Instead of spending X time doing this, and pushing out a (free/$Y) OS update… Why don’t I spend X time doing that and throw it in a OT2 where there is a far, far greater ROI?

Copy patterns ahead, whilst the current pattern plays, as per the A4/AR … wouldn’t complain if you could act on multiple trigs simultaneously too, as per the A4/AR

That and pickup machine finessing, job done … no need to get beyond 1.25J

The low-hanging-fruit stuff like Function-snapping to far more useful values could be taken care of in 1.25i, again as per A4/AR

1 Like

I’m not a coder but I would’ve thought some of it was more ‘copy and paste’ rather than a ‘complete rewrite’ seeing some of these features are already implemented in other Elektron gear. I’d settle for V1.5 just to copy over some of the sequencing features from other Elektron boxes.

They just dropped Digitakt on us, which from what I can tell, looks like an ‘Octatrack Lite’ - to me. I’m even considering getting one of these if the sequencing features have been improved (on the OT). Will have to wait to see the entire feature set when it gets released.

Wotevs, just throwing my voice in the ring for an updated Octatrack - software or hardware. I just thought a significant software update would be easier/simpler - and potentially shut some of us up.

Rusty just doesn’t wanna have to rewrite Octaedit!
Hah, kidding :smirk:

1 Like

Rusty coded OctaEdit so it can be dynamic and flexible to handle any future OS releases :wink:

4 Likes

That is what a wizard would do…

Has Elektron ever explained what the blocker is to doing some of these basic updates that are available on other machines they make? I know tons of us would like conditional trigs on the OT (like AK & AR) and there are several others that pop up on this thread as stuff that many of us would like.

I have to assume that they only have so many coders and that they are using their dev resource on new projects. If this is the case, Elektron please listen: I think that there are enough people interested in some of these features that you could crowd fund development. I know I have seen at least 20-30 people wanting conditional trigs. This can’t be more than a couple of days dev/test and push out a new update. I’m sure you’d quickly raise $5k from the community to do this fix/update, and it would allow you to prioritize updates/features based on direct economics. TBH you could probably outsource this work and just bring it in house for test…either way, I feel Elektron is going to need a solution to these asks , before they become complaints, and then negative recommendations. Cummon Elektron, we love you but sometimes you make it hard!

cool idea. But im 100% sure it wont happen. For the following reasons:

1. Touching the OS of the OT and introducing a new Feature could mess something up in unpredictable areas and would lead to several bugfix releases after that. Unnecessary manpower would be required for that and the crowdfunding money could easily be gone faster than they have fixed the issues. They wont risk this.
  2. Adding Trig Conditions in particular wouldnt be so great for Digitakt Sales :wink: It generally generates more sales for Elektron if they spend their time on new stuff. Because they can make more than just $5K with new stuff in the end.

Im sure there are other deliberations to that matter but i think this basically sums it up.

I don’t see it happening but yeah, there must be a fair amount of users like us who would love conditional trigs on OT and have zero need/desire to grab a DT (which would vaguely cover it, albeit meaning 2 boxes, 2 sets of project housekeeping etc… Ugh. I’m not onboard for that at all). So if there is a certain amount of money that would make it a feasible prospect for Elektron to add conditional trigs to OT, setting that amount as a target for a crowd fund campaign and just sitting back and see it it hits the mark couldn’t do any harm. Risk free and would potentially round out an already killer product and get rid of some of the recent cynicism/frustration…

All that said, if it’s genuinely impossible to squeeze anything new in to OT then it’s understandable that they just let it be.

1 Like

I would imagine there are probably possibilities, but I have a strange, unsubstantiated feeling that the OT will be discontinued this year.

2 Likes

Top priority should be fixing the bugs.

2 Likes

We should be due for a bug fix release soon.

When the conditions are just right…

1 Like

conditional trigs should only be a software update. how hard can it be? seriously just get it done elektron. if there is only 1 thing that can be done, this should be it.

1 Like