Octatrack Fake-outs: Reversing and Re-pitching 'Live' Audio

these things get brought up around here every now and then, and I am often utilizing playback from ‘live’ buffers in my videos, but there’s generally some confusion surrounding these techniques so hopefully this is a relatively clear demo of basic use-cases

Reversed and re-pitched playback from Octatrack ‘live’ re-sampling buffers is possible when certain conditions are met. Using a sync’ed Elektron Machinedrum as a live audio input source a few different basic use cases and the associated kludges are examined.

0:00 memory configuration
0:21 un-mute audio input from Machinedrum
0:53 pitch down live input
1:41 micro-timing record trig for pitching up
2:18 note that this is technically no longer ‘live’ input
2:41 reversing ‘live’ audio input by increasing record/playback displacement
3:11 re-triggering fake-out for continuous reverse playback
3:57 the ‘empty’ part of the buffer contains audio
4:32 examination of SRC3 live re-sampling
6:29 scene change re-sampling cascade effects
7:05 re: timestretch
7:44 re: Machinedrum UW capabilities
8:30 re: audio editor display slowdown
8:58 re: sequencer stop/start
9:28 re: useful FX for playback from ‘live’ buffers
9:50 re: buffer truncation on sequencer stop
10:27 re: p-lock ‘massage’ for playback from ‘live’ buffers

21 Likes

felt like being in some kind of washing machine :slight_smile:

1 Like

:laughing: buahahaha! is it weird that I feel like I just experienced a crucially important rite of passage by having my work compared to a washing machine? :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

A really useful video. Well played

1 Like

That’s the way we become men in our urban jungle :wink:

Thanks again for all the work you put out there, it’s mindblowing

2 Likes

Best octatuber :heart:
Hands down

4 Likes

Gotta say. After the watching your use of LFOs to affect recording trigs and sample trigs, my understanding of the OT has been greatly enhanced. Thanks for sharing this cool content. The idea of recording a sample while simultaneously triggering a sample is a bit of a mindf$&k. But it opens up so many possibilities. I’ve only had the OT for a week or so but today, it clicked. Now I’m just sitting back in amazement.
Terrence McKenna said not to give way to amazement because it can distract one from the message of what it is we came to learn. It’s a metaphor of sorts. Like a black hole that bends space time. Nothing can escape it. Not light or even sound. Head first into the next dimension.

2 Likes

Hey! Thanks! I was just recently wondering about this!

1 Like

You’ve defenestrated a baby here!

1 Like

@ML :muscle::laughing:

@alex3368 :blush: thank you! that neologism is surprisingly fluid but also sounds like some sort of unpleasant root vegetable :sweat_smile:

@Synthesis glad you’ve enjoyed! OT is always offering up some strange new dimension to explore! I definitely know where McKenna is coming from, but I must admit I’m always one to seek to spend time in reflection

@Ryan the method using 2 record buffers that got brought up in your thread (which I would call double-buffering) should be able to give more ‘accurate’ results than the single-buffer start position kludge I demonstrate

@blipson_old usually that’s a bad thing isn’t it? :thinking: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Only if giving brith is a bad thing.

It would be a clear demo were it not for the prolixity of the script. :wink:

I could have made a sufficient demo of these techniques in probably <1 minute with no talking, but trust me, that’s not a video worth making unless you don’t want anyone to watch your video, and the ones that do you will probably have to respond to with comment essays :wink:

2 Likes