Octatrack EP ROME

Just released this EP that was all sequenced and manipulated on the Octatrack.

ROME

Cheers

2 Likes

This is excellent! I really loved it, especially the mix of music and story telling. Great job!

Do you mind explaining some of the process? What other gear was used? Or is it all samples? Where did the storyline idea come from and how was it created?

1 Like

Thanks, I really appreciate the kind words!

To answer your questions…

Process:
I start with the audio file that my friend sends me of him reading into a zoom recorder. After importing that to Octatrack, I choose a tempo based on the cadence of the reading and go from there. Once the track is where I want it (with the help of the Arranger), I perform it (mostly crossfader moves) into Pro tools and “mix” the stems (I use quotes on mix because most of the sounds are already submixed down to 2-4 stereo tracks already).

Gear:
This set of tracks uses the aforementioned Octatrack as brain and sample manipulator for the voice, with various combinations of Digitone/takt, Roland Se-02 and D-05, Minilogue XD, Volca Drum and Electric Guitar.

Storyline:
My friend and longtime (20+years) collaborator wrote the story, it was pared down from a longer story and is heavily influenced by his surroundings growing up in rural Kentucky.

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks for breaking it down for me. It has a real homeliness to it. And (as a Brit) I love the soft drawling accent of your friend.

1 Like

We just uploaded another EP

Amish Heaters

Cheers

1 Like