Octatrack encoder issue

Hello ! My Octatrack bug for a while.
The potentiometer reacts badly to the screen, sometimes when I push the knob to the maximum it goes up and down as it wants, sometimes it takes me several turns to get there or I want to :confused: in your opinion is this a software problem? Or a problem with the potentiometer? (dust or defective)
I am in OS 1.30 C.

Time to replace the encoder I’m afraid. Probably worth doing them all while you’re at it. I replaced just one and within months another started to fail.

2 Likes

The test mode lets you evaluate the response of each encoder against the next on a level playing field. Sadly these encoders are prone to this in time, it’s partly why they’ve moved to a different technology, so-called endless potentiometers with two out of phase tracks, aka sin-cos - mk2s only

They’re easy to source and solder if you have the chops to resolder, but the stakes are high to screw up if unsure, lots of videos on this, plus advice threads

2 Likes

Thank you for your answers ! can you post the video links on this? thanks again :slight_smile:

^^^ video link in here.

The last post offers an interesting solution that doesn’t require replacement of the encoders. I don’t completely understand myself but i’m intrigued nonetheless, my encoders are getting on some

1 Like

Mk2’s pots have some issues too :pensive:
And they’re not so easy to replace.

that’s possibly not exactly a faulty or failing encoder though, it’s possibly an issue that the software isn’t smoothing out sufficiently - it’s monitoring two resistances to detect rotation and it’s over-reacting to the real world fluctuations - that’s of no consequence to you experiencing it - I’ve seen this on other gear and it’d be a pain if you were recording - the point being, replacing the ‘encoder’ may not be enough, it may need more forgiving reading algorithms - it is perhaps fair to assume this encoder is not as forgiving as its neighbours - it’s presumably something support can help you with in any case, even if it’s a marginal case, it’s still annoying - on the flip side, I sat on a hardware related issue for ages and that was rectified in firmware - the best observation mode would be to look in test mode - then all encoders are equal, it’s no longer sensitive to the mapped parameter under the encoder in a certain menu - if it’s still activating on that one then it may need fixing through support etc

2 Likes