Octatrack Effects [Mk1/Mk2]

If someone makes a test with all of these cases demonstrated, please sticky the thread :nyan:

Well it depends, but in general you can stack compressors.
People even put several comps after each other on one track. It makes sense if those comps have a certain character and you want to combine them sonically.
But people might also have a compressor in the beginning of the signal chain and then there’s one again after some fx to compress for example the reverb tail.
But having compressors on individual channels and a comp on the master isn’t exotic.

I’ve read several times, that in the plugin world stacking comps after each other allows to run each of them more gentle and thus reduce possible artifacts. Same for eqs. Makes sense.

On the Octatrack, if you put a comp on an audio track you probaply either have one shot samples and thus want to shape those samples with a compressor (so in this case it’s not about dynamic range, your’re shaping the sound) or you have loops which might need different treatment.
Same for thru machines.
It’s just a question of what you want to achieve and if the source might benefit from a compressor.
If you put a comp on the master track, you probaply want to “glue stuff together”, shape the sound towards a certain direction (i.e. bring out the kick drum more) or level everything towards a more unified sound.
All these compressors would serve different purposes and it could be perfectly reasonable to use multiple comps in the OT.
Just depends if the source needs compression or could benefit from putting a compressor on the track.

1 Like

5 Likes

Heresy against the collective.

Thank you.

I and other users, will really need “Good Luck” to find this post, between the others, to complet informations, about effect values.

Yes, I’am not worry. But When I want to create a sound, develope,
I need Informations like [ms] or [Hz or kHz] . Its normal in this branch.

Why give us other manufactures this information?
And they are based on physic and mathematic.
; )

Do you hear the different of [ms] or [Hz or kHz] ?
How do you reproduce, a sound design, or also tutorials, without this values?

Okay, …

… here’s the answer from Elektron.

And they have accepted my desire,
to include the values in a future version of the manual.

Maybe the Santa Claus will come true.
; )

Because of the order, …
… support person, gets a second chance.

Before I post the answer.
I am shocked.

But let’s see what you can do in a few years, …
… if you need parts.
: )

Am 17.09.2019 um 08:43 schrieb Elektron User Care:

Hi Martin,

Unfortunately, I do not have the values that you request, but I have asked for them to be put in a future revision of the manual.

Regards,
Elektron support person

2 Likes

Upload it to a RegFreeHoster and post the link.

Those stats would indeed be super useful, but be sure to get the scaling specs because they might not all be linear.

2 Likes

I understand what you mean.

But with the steps it is maybe possible to calculate it, lin. or log.
maybe with excel, :laughing:

But it is a base, …

… like the

B.10 DYNAMIX COMPRESSOR
in the manual p.130

But maybe, when every OctaNaut here, send my List, to the Elektron Support, …
… maybe we have the Values in some days.

:innocent:

1 Like

I like the way we work on the OT, it’s visual but still we have to rely on our ears.
Eq values could be investigated with a spectrum analyzer, though and time based fx parameters could be meassured.
Also gain controls could be meassured.
This way you would at least have a few values. :slight_smile:

1 Like

OT filter and EQ values?

1 Like

Not having meaningful numbers on the compressor graphics has taught me more about compression than any tutorial. I have learned to use my ears and hear the compressor rather than being fooled by dialing in ‘-13db’ threshold, .8ms attack etc.

While I had initial frustration , due to being used to reading software plugin graphics, I now have a ‘listen and turn the knob’ feel for the OT. Liberating.

5 Likes

With a transfer function. I have done this some time ago (interesting, the OT filters are quite capable). If I have some time left I’ll post some screenshots of the actual curves of each filter.

2 Likes

This! I feel like I had a breakthrough today after nearly two years with OT and sampled the vinyl in quite hot. Made the WORLD of difference!

Less is more……… :wink:

That’s what it’s about. You nailed it.

2 Likes

I feel the effects are somehow so well thought… they just work… compared with other non elektron effects like the ones on MPC, with more options, but in the end less great results.
At the begining I thought they were kind of boring and restricted, but know I just love them (except not being able to use delay and reverb at the same time).

You can. Theres a thread somewhere about setting up reverb then copying it to the fx 1, leaving fx2 available for delay ( or vice versa).

1 Like

Really?

3 Likes