OctaTrack doesn't send Midi Out running Midi Sequencer

Hi everyone, need your help to fix a problem on Midi Sequencer.

I’m using OctaTrack to play my Sub37. Everything works fine and sounds if I just trig the Midi note on the track I’ve reserved on the Octatrack to communicate with Sub37. It sends Midi out, as checked on my Midi Interface, and Sub37 receive a midi signal. But…if I write a pattern on the Midi Sequencer and make it run…no Midi Signal is sent from OctaTrack for any Trig note I put on the Sequencer.

If I go back out of the recording mode and just trig the Midi note, everything works good. Same situation if I use Digitakt to do that instead of OctaTrack.

I’ve studied the settings but I can’t find anything to explain this. I suppose…while running Midi Sequencer should send midi signal out for each Trigger…:joy:…Don’t understand where I’m wrong

Thanks a lot for you support.

Is the track muted by chance? Like function+track button? It would still trig manually but would be muted while running the sequencer

2 Likes

Good question. I’ll check it again but If it’s not muted by default on a new set/project I didn’t mute the Midi. Even on the Digitakt. But let me check again. Thanks a lot

Just Checked again, there’s no Midi Mute on tracks. Still the same problem, Midi Trig manually works but not while running the midi sequencer. If I try to record in Live Recording Mode, the Midi Trig sounds when pressed but when I go back to playback there’re no trig notes recorded in the pattern.

At least in Grid Recording Mode I can see the written notes on the Pattern, although in playback there’s still no midi coming out of Octratrack.

:disappointed_relieved:

Are you in midi mode and use midi tracks ?
Audio tracks don’t send midi notes except with Chromatic mode.

Try again with a new project. By default, with midi tracks, you just have to set the right midi channel in MIDI NOTE SETUP. Validate CHAN by pressing the knob.
Place some trigs notes, done.

1 Like

Yes, I’m in Midi Mode and I’m triggering a Midi Track. Everything works with no playback and manual trigging. Midi comes out and external synth sounds good. The problem is with the Midi sequencer.

UPDATE: I set Midi Channel 1 (midi channel for SUB37) on the the Midi Track 1. Now the Midi sequencer works and send midi to the synth triggering the notes.

But If i go back to manual triggering, out of any recording mode, manual trigging on that Midi track set on Channel 1 doesn’t play anymore, no midi out from the Octatrack. If I set that track on Midi Channel: OFF, then manual trigging comes back to work again and no MIDI out on any recording mode in the playback on Midi Sequencer, as it happened before.

How do you do manual triggering?
You have to use Chromatic mode, FN+Down arrow.

If you trig with trig 9 in audio mode, it sends audio track 1 note, by default on channel 1. It can’t be sent if channel 1 is acticated on a midi track, which have priority.

2 Likes

Yes, it works in Chromatic mode. So…I guess I assumed by mistake that also a simple manual trigging in Tracks Mode, I mean playing the Midi Track Trig for that track, should sent out Midi signal.

Thanks a lot

2 Likes

Hey, let’s check your midi settings in general for the OT. In the main set up do you have internal note off or anything weird set there? Sorry, I’m a bit tipsy after tonight’s gig and not about to unpack my OT (lest it comes to that). There’s like an external note out setting and an internal setting. Have you done anything there? A screen shot would be super helpful in those menus

1 Like

Maybe an explanation, if you trig with trig 9 in audio mode, it sends audio track 1 note, by default on channel 1. It can’t be sent if channel 1 is activated on a midi track, which have priority.

Have fun with arp and midi lfos!

2 Likes

I guess what I miss is the correlation between Midi Tracks and “corresponding” Audio Tracks.

Maybe you mean that if I play a trig on Audio Track 1 it also use internal Midi Channel 1 and it’s not only Audio, so it can’t share any Midi Channel with a Midi Track?! So far I’ve always thought about audio tracks without any relationship with Midi.

Thanks for your patient :pray: My first days on Elektron

Important to know :

15.2 HOW MIDI IS ROUTED If an audio track and a MIDI track share the same MIDI channel, the MIDI track will block the audio track from sending out data while the audio track will block the MIDI track from receiving data.

This can be useful with midi loopback, otherwise it can be annoying if you want to record a midi track with external midi. Set different channels if so. Audio tracks channels can also be set to off.

2 Likes

Ok, I get it now! Thanks for support

1 Like

I know this is an old thread, but I ended up here from Google when having same kind of problems with Pulsar-23 and Octatrack. Hope my experience can help someone else with these problems.

While learning the note for snare for some reason, it always worked when I pushed the note manually, but not from sequencer. All other tracks worked fine, hihat, kick, bass. I looked for the problem for hours, tried disabling all CCs and checked that no LFO was affecting the notes.

Finally I ended up in the ARP settings, where there is the Key setting. It seems to apply when notes are sequenced, but not when you manually trig the note or even if you manually trigger the trig. It seems to affect also if the ARP is not enabled. There was a leftover from some other project that set the Key so that the snare note was changed to something else when played from sequencer.

2 Likes

Always good to remind it. Chromatic mode or external notes aren’t filtered bu the Key scale. Not especially clear in the manual. (Same problem with A4 and DN afaik).

(OT MKI manual)

Arpeggiated notes and any note offsets can be forced to play according to a given key scale. The F knob sets the key scale. When set to OFF all notes and note offsets will play according to the set notes. This setting will affect the note trigs of the track even if the MODE setting found in the ARPEGGIATIOR MAIN menu is set to OFF

Hi all, I’m running into the same problem as described by Pauliestudio.

When I manually hit the trigs, there is midi notes coming out the octatrack. When I record these trigs in the midi sequencer, nothing is coming out during playback.

Audio track channels are all set to off, so I expect no conflict between audio and midi channels.

For a freshly made project the midi sequencer is working properly, so it seems to be due to a project specific setting. As far as I can see there is no global disable for the midi sequencer.

Soloed tracks, muted tracks ?
Velocity set to 0 ?
Lfo on Vel ?

It blocks midi tracks from receiving, not sending. Opposite for audio tracks.

2 Likes

Midi tracks are unmuted, the midi channel number is indicated on the screen.
Velocity is on.
Lfo’s not mapped to any destinations.

No soloed track ? (Check with Mixer mode)

Once an Elektronaut said he verified. He sent me his project : soloed track !

2 Likes