Octatrack + digitakt vs Tempest

Hey peeps,

Been itching for some new gear and been looking at octatrack and the tempest.
Basically for the price of the tempest new is the same as octatrack and digitakt new.

My setup is for live and I love what you can do with the octatrack.
I got a deluge which I love, but having all the channel inputs on the octatrack looks awesome.
Probably overkill with octatrack and deluge together that’s why I’m leaning towards the Tempest.

Anyone got experience with octatrack and deluge, is it overkill or do they work good together?

Any input is appreciated

Edit: I also own a digitone

OT+DT+DN all the way…

2 Likes

I hate to be that guy, but if you’re looking for analog percussion and sampling capabilities, why not go Analog Rytm?

That being said, my vote is OT & DT because the DT sounds REALLY good, is super convenient to work with and the OT can do some bizarre things with samples(and live FX)

2 Likes

I gotta give it to the OT + DT. I got my DT about 6 mos ago and my musical ventures were forever changed. I got the OT mk1 a month ago for about the same price as the DT and once again I was floored. OT+DT. It’s madness. There are so many ways to make these machines sound good. Good sound. That’s what it’s all about. OT is a deep machine but with scenes, parts, ctrl-al on DT I will never get bored. Somehow everything else kinda is just not as satisfying. OT + DT/DN and I may never need anything else. It’s hard to imagine the Tempest would be able to complete with this combo, although maybe simpler for live stuff. Tempest would prob not offer the same level of creativity imho.

3 Likes

I would for sure not buy a DT and an OT at the same time. Just get on OT and take the time to learn to enjoy it ?

OT is a sampler with amazing sequencing/routing/fx options. It’s extremely live oriented.

Tempest is a different animal. Tempest is more a deep sound design synthesis box. It can do a lot of classic synthesis, and drum synthesis. It can synthesize lots a noisy percussions, and has a very organic sound. Sequencer is very easy and very nice for live.
Sound design can take some time, and is not really doable live. You’d have to spend some time designing sounds in the studio. It’s is a great learn.

Those are just complete different things.

DT, OT and Tempest are all great.

Maybe take some time to identify your needs before buying anything ?

1 Like

Thanks guys for the input.

Octatrack it is, the four inputs and fader knob sounds very appealing for live situations

1 Like