Octatrack - Digitakt style saving patterns

we’ll tell elektron we want two units and two corner offices :smile:

1 Like

Berlin here we come!

1 Like

I’m running into the same problem. I’m so used to each pattern basically having their own part (like on the Digitakt and Digitone). I’ve accidentally messed up previous patterns because I forgot to copy the part when i copied the pattern. And if I for example play some slices but ooops I’m in grid edit mode and now I just cleared a bunch of trigs, the only way to get those trigs back is to put them back one by one manually. Or if I’m lucky, copy the page from another pattern if I happen to have one.

I’m sure this gets better with practice, but 4 parts spread across 16 patterns without pattern reloading is gonna take some time getting used to :sweat_smile:

1 Like

there should be a box in prefs you can check to make it function like that, and those that don’t want it could leave it unchecked.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve tried various tactics, like having a mindfulness session with the goal of very intentionally using only p-locks after I have copy/pasted a pattern. By making most of the changes in the sequence rather than the part, the other patterns are untouched by default.

Lately I have started to use the OT’s arranger it’s been a big leap forward. I have been initializing a bank with parts 1-4 assigned 4 patterns each in a zone from the start. Because the arranger can use patterns from all the banks, I can cut and paste into the next “zone” of patterns and then link them together in the arrangements. Most songs I have made still fit in one bank, but now that I have a work around for extending the number of parts in a song I feel like I can get on with the music making.

What’s slowly happening in my brain is that arrange mode is becoming another integral layer in the performance sequencing. The arranger’s ability to automate the muting and scene changes works nearly as well as a different part and to some degree removes the need to copy and paste a pattern if all I am changing is some settings in the envelope and filter. Also, navigating between banks has always been awkward if I am also trying to focus on scenes with performance, so the arranger is also changing how I navigate and organize.

Just keep octa tracking, I am sure you will be making me jealous with your mastery in no time.

2 Likes

Everything in the OT is an “integral layer in the performance sequencing”. :slight_smile: Who put an Arp that it’s a sequencer inside a sequencer inside a sequencer? lmao

Aha, yeah the OT a lot more planning to avoid accidentally losing progress. I also tried the arranger yesterday. It was surprisingly straight forward. Your way of setting it up makes a lot of sense to me, where you use 4 patterns with separate parts in all the banks and queue them up in the arranger to easily switch between them.

I’m trying to set up the last bank in a project to be the sampling bank. Each part will have a thru and a neighbour with various effects. That way I can have a part with for example compression and distortion for drums, another part with reverb and delay for atmosphere, another geared towards guitar, etc. Then i accidentally ruined everything by duplicating a pattern and making stuff in it. :cry:

1 Like

Nice! I think of the last bank as a “utility shed.” Usually there will be a pattern that helps me tune my modular, and on the digiboxes I use that bank to design sounds for the sound pool. Taking from your idea, turning one of the parts in bank P it into a recording booth sounds appealing, just in terms of a workflow where sampling is separate you don’t have to set anything up when you want to get a little snippet of sound.