Octatrack dfam sync

What is the best idea to sync Octatrack and dfam? In my case, I have been using the metronome by sending it to dfam as a cueout. It was a good idea, but one thing that’s disappointing is that I have to keep the metronome on the cueout, so I can’t use it on the main I listen to. (Unless you turn up and down the volume whenever necessary in the settings) If you have any ideas, I’d be so happy to share them!

+i got neutron too!

1 Like

https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=Dfam%20sync%20octatrack%20

There’s plenty of previous threads full of ideas. Many ways to achieve good results.

1 Like

Thank you. I love this community! I’m looking for the best way to do my setup. The forum’s writings cannot be applied to my situation or are far from what I want, so I wrote like this! Have a great day!

Just in case, my method in use right now is to turn off the metronome’s tonal, let it play only as a cueout, and connect it to the adv/clock via an audio cable.

I saw some samples back in the day that could be used as a CV trigger. If you google, find and download one, put it on a track on the OT along with the necessary triggers, send the track to Cue, Cue out to DFAM Trigger In and now you get to use your metronome.

There are also things such as CV.OCD, which is a standalone MIDI to CV converter. That would allow a lot more potential control of the DFAM from the OT (or other MIDI-based instruments) but will cost about $100 USD or so. (can’t remember exactly what I paid for mine)

I’m sure there are other methods, but those are two I’ve toyed with or looked into in the past to sync modular w/ OT, etc.

Only you can choose which method works best for you.

This guy explains it quite well using a Nord Drum to convert a midi track into a trigger track so you don’t loose an audio track on the OT.

Hi Guys, I have an Octatrack and digitakt and digitakt being clocked from the Octatrack. I want to put the dfam in the line also and I have MIDI thru from the digitakt connected to the dfam ad/clock using MIDI /cv converter and no joy… just flashing lights… all I want to do is trigger the dfam to start and stop and change tempo when I change it on the Octatrack transport

my apologies in advance for my stupidity only recently connected the digi to the octa. Trying to get my head around it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Did you manually ‘start’ the DFAM? (i.e. press the Run button so it is lit).

While it has a connection into adv/clock it won’t start advancing by itself when you arm the Run button, but will advance every time it receives a pulse on adv/clock.

Also, you’ll have to manually move it to the step you want to start at - it simply advances from whatever step it is on. There are a couple of ‘controller’ boxes that uses some trickery to automatically start it on the first step, but I can’t remember their names - I’m sure it will be mentioned in the DFAM thread.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply aloud. Yes I did do all that however no joy just flashing lights.
Should it not (the dfam that is) accept clock from the Octatrack and adjust tempo accordingly?
MIDI thru from digitakt to ad/clock

No. Dfam takes an analog clock or trigger signal.
You can use Octatrack’s metronom through OTs cue outs or a sampled pulse played from a track on OT or Digitakt could work or get a midi to cv converter.

https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=Dfam%20sync%20octatrack%20

1 Like

Thank you Schnork.

1 Like