Octatrack Crossfader Modulating/Changing Parameters on Digitone Keys Accidentally

I’m using my Octatrack as master clock and controller. Midi out from OT to the in of Digitone Keys. When using the crossfader on OT, it seems to be changing some parameters on Digitone Keys but I can’t figure out how, what or where the changes are taking place making it difficult to update. Seems like it might be the modulation wheel but I can’t seem to figure out how to turn off that connection to see if that’s what it’s controlling. When the crossfader is right in the middle, the effect change is zero (or at least minimal) but when faded to the left or right, gets really warbly or glitchy. Is this a bug or feature? I’d like to be able to control this more if it’s possible by changing some cc message.

1 Like

I think it’s the midi settings . In the midi settings there is an “audio cc out” option that is set to INT+EXT by default. You need to change that to INT only.

2 Likes

Will disabling “audio cc out” also disable sending other midi sequence notes to my other synths though?

No, because those are sent through midi tracks, not audio tracks.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. I’ll give it a shot.

Now with that, is there a way to tame the beast and use the crossfader cc to actually effect what I want to effect on my Digitone Keys?

I don’t think so, it’s on everyone’s wish list to be able to use the crossfader with midi, but it only sends by default on a given channel (CC48 it seems).

2 Likes

It’s neither a bug nor a feature. It’s simply a conflict of CC numbers. The Octatrack uses CC48 for the crossfader (send and receive).

CC numbers are fixed on both sides, but you can use a midi processor in between both devices to map the CC48 to whatever you want. But it’s a little bit awkward to determine on which channel the CC48 is sent (the first MIDI channel used by the audio tracks, and not used by any of the MIDI tracks).

Here you can find an example of using a Blokas Midihub for this:

2 Likes

Thanks for the in depth info.

It’s all a little overwhelming. Sometimes you just want to play music, ya’ know? I feel like I was having a better time on the Digitakt, but that too took a long time to figure out my own workflow. I imagine this will be the same in time. I won’t be buying another midi hub as a work around for now. The Blokas Midihub looks dope, but can’t justify trying to figure out another chain in my studio when I can’t figure out basic stuff on my OT. LOL.

1 Like

Hang in there. Get your OT talking right to your other devices and the music will come. This was my first major hurdle with the OT too.

1 Like