Octatrack changing patterns question

Hello all, pretty new to the OT but starting to make sense of it. A question I have, and here is the scenario…I had copied a pattern and pasted it to the next pattern slot over, I made parameter changes to the copy, but when I went back to the original, the previous pattern, the parameter changes were applied to it as well.
As I said, new to the octatrack but I have had it long enough to know that I must be doing something wrong. On all my other elektron gear it’s just copy a pattern, paste, make changes, keep going. It’s also not lost on me that the OT is sort of it’s own beast.
Apologies if this has been covered before and thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this for me.

-p

You have just discovered parts.
Welcome to octatrack.

Imagine a line above the sequencer buttons. Everything above that line is PART.
Everything below that line is PATTERN.

You can read the manual for more info. Or search youtube tutorials to see how parts work.

9 Likes

Awesome thanks very much! Apologies for the noob question, I really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction

This is an amazingly concise and simple way to explain parts that I’ve never heard before.

3 Likes

I was just thinking about that too, this makes so so much sense. Little visual things like that help me learn/retain much much faster.
For instance, to wrap my head around track record buffers I said to my friend, “so the buffer is like a net you use to catch a fish, the sample is the fish, and if you want to keep the fish you have to take it out of the net and toss it in the boat (save it)
So that’s how my brain works lol

I use parts as part of the song(they’re parts after all :joy:) and the pattern as different sequencer that make the whole song part.
Generally I have patten 1 as the beginning of that part, pattern 2 the actual part, pattern 3 the transition to the next part and I use Scene as transition tool.
So imagine pattern 1-3 verse using Part 1 and scene 1-3
Pattern 4-6 chorus using Part 2 and scene 4-6

I apply the same principle when I do live set but I generally use pattern 1 as the in/out and pattern 2/3 for the actual song with the same Part and the next song will be pattern 4-6 part 2.

1 Like

You’re all the best, this is really really helpful.