Octatrack CC Direct Connect and Midi setup

I am interested in trying CC direct connect on my OT.
Problem is I am unsure how to set up the midi channels and cables.

In my eyes the most sensible option when using an OT with multiple synths is that the OT is the master for the other machines providing (at least) transports and clock-signals via its midi out. All Elektron sequencers do their own thing (only listening to clock and transport) because of p-locks etc.
Right now I have all my other synths daisy chained from their Midi-thru-port to the Midi-In-port of the next machine (the first device in the chain gets the midi out signal from OT of course).

As far as I know, If I’d wanted to use “CC Direct connect” the synths need to be able to send the midi back to the OT.

Now here lies the problem. Since Elektron machines are not able to merge internal midi with the midi-in input port, the only option left is to use the midi out of the machines to get a hold of the internal midi output.

My initial idea would be to merge all midi information coming out of the out-ports with a midi merger and then feed the midi into the OT. Unfortunately I dont have a midi merger at hand to test it out.

Is that possible?
Or any other thoughts on this?

Not sure about what you want to achieve, and the relation with CC DIRECT CONNECT…

With CC DIRECT CONNECT on, you can’t control midi track parameters, recorded CCs are the ones set in CTRL1/2 setups only.

With CC DIRECT CONNECT off, you can control all active midi track parameters with external midi with AUTO CHANNEL, including CCs. In that case, it receives following CCs only, and send the CCs set in CTRL1/2 setups pages.

1 Like

I want to be able to record knob movements from other synths into the midi tracks of the OT via the “CC Direct connect” feature just like it’s advertised in the manual (page 101):

By taking advantage of the CC DIRECT CONNECT feature, easier and more intuitive MIDI sequencing is possible. It allows the Octatrack MKII MIDI sequencer to live record and parameter lock knob CC values of the synthesizer by turning the knobs directly on the synth itself.

Maybe I dont understand what CC Direct Connect is supposed to do.

So yes, that’s defauft behavior (CC DIRECT CONNECT on). You just have to set CCs corresponding to your synth in CTRL1/2 Setup pages (midi learn possible).

With Direct Connect on all incoming midi is echoed out “as is” which allows you to set your synth to “local off” and be able to play it normally but with the OT inserted in the control path.

Note that like the manual says indeed you can live record CC movements but you still record into a step sequencer so you get 1 single value per step. That’s a very low resolution indeed.

You’d need a linear midi sequencer to record fluid CC curves, like the Pyramid.

2 Likes

Thanks for your help but my original question was how people set up their machines from a midi cable perspective.
The example in the manual uses two synths only which lends itself as a good example but is very rare in reality ;).
By having all my synths daisy chained through thru-ports, there is no individual midi going out from the synths because they only pass through midi and dont inject any of their own midi-out information into the stream that could be eventually fed back into the midi in port of the OT at the end of the chain. Hence I was thinking of grabbing all the midi out of the indiviudal machines, merging it and sending it back into the OT.

If your synths don´t have a setting that merges controller data with the incoming midi data into the thru out, you can use midi interfaces or midi merger/thru boxes.

Sorry, I just replied to the question you formulated:

Hope you get that sorted. I personally don’t use daisy chaining unless I really can’t do otherwise. I’d advise to get a decent midi router (iConnectivity, Motu etc) if you have many devices in your setup.

You might be able to find an used iConnectivity MIO4 for a good price. The MIO4 has been replaced by the MIOXM recently. I haven´t checked if there are significant differences between the two, but I´m really happy with my MIO4, works absolutely flawelessly.

1 Like

MIDIHUB? I have a big Roland A880, 8in 8out, standalone…

1 Like