Octatrack + Blofeld + DI box?

Hi!

Noob over here! I use Blofeld connected to my Octatrack with TS unbalanced cables and getting very low sound output from the Blofeld when using it with OT.

Does this mean I have to get some DI passive box to go through before the input on OT or do I need some sort of Overdrive FX pedal like the Electro-Harmonix Overlord Overdrive?

The DI box I was thinking about is Radials ProD2:

And this is the overdrive pedal

I also do want to add some FX pedals soon like TC Hall Of Fame 2 reverb or Digitech Nautila Chorus pedal, both stereo. Do I have to use a DI box even more because of this.

Great stuff by the way! Happy both with Blofeld and with Octatrack and you guys on this forum are super-helpful and kind :slight_smile:

/Yonis

Can’t speak for your specific sound level issues (I’m yet to begin my journey down the Octapath) but you definitely don’t need a DI box for any of the above equipment.

2 Likes

Try balanced cables.
How low are we talking? Can you hear it in the mix?

Octatrack has a noise gate if your noise is an issue.
You dont need a DI box.

1 Like

My experience with the Blofeld is that it may have very low output and sometimes not. What I’ve learned as a trick that sounds good (to me) is to use some Drive set to Tube as a mode, at about 20, this beefs up the volume without distorting, and solves the low volume issue.

Drive is either available for the filters or as a Master effect. I like to use it on Filter personally.

1 Like

Thank you all!

Forgive my sentimentality but I feel moved by your help. You have just spared me a cost of about 200 dollars.

I will try the overdrive thing. Also I can hear the sound its not so soft I cant hear and yes some patches are lower/higher than others but all in all they are all under level with Octatracks volume.

Might the overdrive pedal help or is that also unnecessary?

Thanks again!

PS noise is not an issue really but will look in to that anyway.

Had no problem with Blofeld.

Mixer > GAIN should suffice.
Level 127
Thru track : Playback (SRC) page : VOL+63
Increase AMP VOL if necessary.

Sometimes I even plug a passive guitar straight in OT. :smile:

2 Likes

If anything the Blofeld can be too loud for the Octatrack. It’ll be something in your setup on the machines.

There are so many variables between an oscillator on the Blofeld and however you’re hearing it on the Octatrack so you should do your setting up with an init patch on the Blofeld & monitoring only via the mixer page on the OT. You can deal with the variations on either machine after that.

It won’t be the cables. Unless they’re faulty in some unlikely way that diminishes signal., so I guess rule
that out by trying them on gear where you’re familiar with the levels.

I guess a fault with either machine is a possibility as well. So try the Blofeld direct to an amp/speakers. And monitor another source on the OT. Once faults are ruled out you can narrow things down.

I went into a fair bit of detail on my settings here

The Blofeld is notorious for low output…I have a cheap Behringer stereo DI on mine when I feed into my desk, and when I want to be more mobile I run it through my Virus TI snow which has line in boost in increments of 6dB…if the OT has a boost for the in or through that should work…loads of users run a compressor inline and limit some of those harsh digital transients, then boost it to a nice level.

Its only unbalanced out and I have had noise / earth hum using TRS balanced cables. But they do the job over short distance and when they are not running parallel to power cables…

I will say this…the HOF 2 on the Blofeld is excellent compared to the onboard reverb, I have one on a aux of my desk and it’s no Bigsky, but is still cavernous and lush on the downward shimmer…

The tube distortion in the oscillator drive section is enough meat for my taste and I like it dirty…!

What do I have the world’s loudest Blofeld? :wink:

I think it’s more about it having a very wide dynamic range and not the lowest noise floor out there. The presets are all over the place volume wise, but first stop should be the amplifier and velocity settings before filter drives imo.

1 Like

As @sezare56 said, OT’s gain stages should be enough. Maybe use a thru track with compressor if you need extra gain.

When I had a Blofeld I really enjoyed running it through a FMR RNLA to smooth things out and add volume, but OT’s compressor is very good so you shouldn’t need any additional gear.

2 Likes

Thanks for so many replies.

Well I still havent learned the pickup machine functions in the OT yet but I have weak signal from the Blofeld when running it/connecting it to my ur240 ASIO Interface as well. Its quite low. I always have to crank up a lot aftwerwards. When I monitor with headphones directly from the Blofeld its much louder.

By the way I know that you did write a lot about the signals going green or orange but my initial question was if I should buy a DI box which you to my great thanks have answered. Regarding green or orange lights. If I keep the lights green I can barely hear anything at all. :confused:

I will try with different cables btw

1 Like

I was responding to troubles you outlined later in the thread

Ok Clancy. Of course and thank you for that!

1 Like