Octatrack Black & other Elektrons - Made in Poland?

The Black edition isnt different from the grey(inside). Id say its at the end.

The Grey - afaik - was built in Sweden. The Black - being built in Poland - probably requires a whole new adjustment process.

Theres going to be know difference whatsoever. Its getting past the judgemental thing. People are funny things.

On a side note. I know a lot of people insist on prescribed drugs that are of one brand and not generic. They think its not as good if they have the generic brand. But its still the same drug but made somewhere else.

The prejudice about polish vs swedish quality is of course dumb but it s a fair point to say starting up a new production line at a new plant can have it s teething issues, no?

4 Likes

Precisely.

I think supervision is paramount. Newly trained workers need it. Would be interesting to know how many staff have relocated temporarily from Sweden to Poland for the adjustment.

1 Like

Also if you have a sub par unit exchange it under warranty, sure it is annoying but these things do happen unfortunately when dealing with assembly of reasonably complex gear. No matter where they are assembled.

I know this is completely off-topic, but do you also count all the contaminated batches from other countries that my government has to filter out so we donā€™t get poisoned?

Please donā€™t throw the quality control of your luxury instrument on the same heap as life-saving medications. Itā€™s on a completely different level of importance.

Wat? Clearly where my toys are made is more important than your drug problems /s

2 Likes

If there hasnā€™t been any change in the materials being used than itā€™s just a location and worker change. No biggie.

If there have been any changes in the materials being used than I would have issues with brand devaluation. I do think however it sends a bad message if you have been pushing a Made in Sweden = quality message. I used to own a Saab so I know better.

Its the worker change that i guess most people worry about. If they are properly trained and supervised no biggie as you say.

I own a MIM Fender Telecaster w/ash body. Itā€™s made in Mexico, different type of finishing poly something as opposed to nitrocellulose. Glossed neck instead of satin finish. And it takes a lot less time to make, so a different manufacturing procedure. Itā€™s also a butt load cheaper.

Gibson moved from Kalamazoo, Michigan to Nashville, Tennessee. Same processā€¦ different workers. Same materialsā€¦ different workers. I see this as being closer to what Elektron has done. But just my opinion. I donā€™t think that there was a loss in perceived value with the Gibson move but there might have been a temporary one that eventually reverted back to the mean.

The initial change. Nobody likes change. Its human nature. I do feel Elektron could have shown more transparency on all of this. Then people seeing the sticker Made in Poland wouldnā€™t have come a s a surprise/shock.

2 Likes

Iā€™m fascinated by it. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Completely agree regarding transparency. Amazing how much that will fix

Point of delocalizing would be to be more competitive, cheaper.

The OT MKII is more expensive now than 2 years ago. I think the R&D has been paid a long time ago.
GDP per capita is 3,5 times more in Sweden.

Alright, Iā€™ll dust off my MBAā€¦ I concentrated in business development / marketing, but I had the core graduate classes so please be patient with meā€¦ point of delocalizing? please explain.

And why would Swedens GDP matter to a global product? I understand that Polish labor costs overall would be cheaper. Same as when Dell moved from Round Rock to Tennessee for manufacturing iircā€¦ cheaper hourly wage and meth prices

I need more coffee for this

1 Like

I donā€™t know about different states regulations in US but here we speak about a country where minimum wage is 15USD/hour and the other one 4,25USD/hour. And prices of OT are going up.

I understand China manufactoring labour and components might be higher but come onā€¦

I guess itā€™s all part of the new companyā€™s mind.

1 Like

They should not do this in TOTALITARIAN COUNTRIES like Poland xD

I am polish and i mean it hehe

3 Likes

Admittedly Iā€™m not familiar with the political landscape of Poland

Obviouslly this was a little joke i let myself to chime in
But nevetherless political situation here itā€™s well fucked up.

2 Likes