Octatrack as live bass/guitar fx module

Missed that… :wink:

As a guitar playing OTist I’ve actually been meaning to do all of this but I’ve been comfortable using NI guitar rig pre-OT…
I want to eventually play out again without bringing a laptop so this is an area I really want to investigate but haven’t gotten there yet…
So easy at home to just keep using guitar rig…

it is absolutely gorgeous @sezare56 :+1:

2 Likes

I’ve barely touched my guitars in a long time, mostly because of OT. I should really pick it back up before I never do, it’s what got me into making music. I remember the first time my mate showed me logic and it blew my mind the possibilities, now I know what I’m doing I never play guitar let alone record. Maybe it’s time to stop fucking with the electronics for a bit and give it some love, or even make some samples or something

2 Likes

I don’t do enough guitar too. I don’t want to use my amp, I think I’ll buy a multi fx with IR Cab Sim very soon. I only have a 25€ Sansamp thing to emulate amps !
Anyway I was just playing OT with 2 jacks with nothing plugged, touching them to make them buzz with hi gain filtered sequenced settings and multi real-time sampling / resampling…
So crasy possibilities even with a crap sound !

2 Likes

I’ve played guitar for 25 years so it’s easy for me to think “I got that, what I need to work on is the electronics so I’ll do that and just add guitar later”… And then I don’t play guitar for 4 months… :wink:

Then I finally pick up the guitar and it feels so good and is such an outlet for my creativity I think “What the heck have I been doing, I’m a flippin guitar player!”… :wink:

Not saying I should just play guitar but I should at least regularly incorporate it into my jams as that’s my desired end goal anyway…

@sezare56, Plug a cable in and touch the open end to your tongue! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Of course, I did it, in stereo ! :smile:
Guitar !

1 Like

I think I’d be more motivated to play if my guitars were in better shape, My nicest guitar is an epiphone les Paul custom but it’s got a big crack in the neck so it’s got issues holding its tuning well, and Ive got a Washburn acoustic that has a tuning peg busted off that I never got round to fixing. My only amp is a tiny line 6 spider. I’d like a nice strat and a tube amp, maybe some pedals but with the grand or two I’d spend on it I could add countless things to my studio. I think I’ll treat myself to a nice guitar maybe next year, but before that I need to focus on room treatment, and a half decent pre, maybe a mixer, and avoid whatever temptations come my way for long enough. You know the struggle

1 Like

Don’t wait to long, if your a guitar player that hasn’t played in a long time you might be surprised at how good it feels just to do it…
Everytime I wait too long the next time I play I always wonder what I was thinking not playing for so long…

I say grab one of them broken guitars and rock! (By rock I mean play whatever style you like, but just go for it!):slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have the option to use GR since i write all our stuff in daw and all the bass sounds would be the same if i used it live. I relay dont want to take a laptop to shows with me though. With the possibility of latency and if you play out in the summer and cant find shade, your cpu will overheat even with minimum load. Plus setup times and having a laptop on stage with other bands setting up there gear can make you cringe s easily ahaha :confounded:

I went thru this for a year until i started playing in a band again and I fell back in love with Bass guitar. It was like being let out of a cage and getting my conection back with music. No synth to set up no sample to chose, just strings hands and music coming out. Plus the way you can lose youself in that kind of improv is different. You keep exploring the idea deeper and if your hands stop the music stops.

It’s nice to split writing into pure note and melody then go full nerd and make a massive wall of sound out of it :man_mechanic: :mage: :fire:

1 Like

How deep it can be is what interests me. I have no limits in Ableton which i’'v been using for years now so lets say i’m kinda looking for the hardware version to take out on stage. I was crying laughing at a guy on instagram who commented on everyone’s octatrack pics saying “it’s so frustrating I can’t even get a sound to play out of it, It’s were samples go to die”
:joy::rofl::sweat_smile::disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Does anyone who has the Analog Rythem mkii or Four know if this kind of FX routing and sequencing is possible?

Analog Rythem would be cool since it makes it’s own sounds and i can already mangle samples in Ableton with the amazing warping algorithms it has and the sampler

Possible with A4 I have, Rytm too for sure.

Octatrack mangles samples in ways I’ve never achieved easily in a DAW, seriously it takes things to a new level by the ease of taking a completely different direction. Within seconds you can slice into pieces, rearrange all the pieces, play some backwards and pitch shift some, layer some played chromatically over the top, resample it and do the same again and take a completely different direction and then fade between your two versions, you can just go on and on once you get used to it. Analog rytm is an analog drum machine with send FX so I wouldn’t really buy that if I was looking for a sampler, it’s more of a bonus. If you feel like you need analog drum synth engines it’s a good bet but I seriously advise you check out how the actual synths in it sound rather than sample videos. Its a great box and all but it’s just something different.

@Open_Mike I may have to do just that. I know that feeling too well, it’s like I forget I enjoy it

2 Likes

Get an ebow, and sample the hell out of your guitar using that!

2 Likes

Is there anyone who can vouch for the behringer fcb1010 compatibility with the Octatrack?

There is a lot of material on the forum already:
https://www.elektronauts.com/search?context=topic&context_id=47933&q=Fcb1010&skip_context=true

1 Like