Octatrack as controller via Logic Pro

I spoke too soon about having my new setup nailed!

I need some help. What I’m trying to achieve is having my OT still be my master sequencer for all my synths, via Logic Pro. I have all synths on their own independent midi ports on the motu Express 128, and the OT sending midi in. I’ve built a logic template with an external midi track for each of the synths. So far, I’ve only manage to sequence whichever track is selected and record enabled in Logic, regardless of what midi channel OT is sending. How to explain…

Prophet 6 is set to midi channel 3, as is the corresponding external midi instrument track in Logic. Two Voice pro as above, but on channel 1.

T1 is set to midi channel one on OT, T3 set to channel 3.

What I would expect is to be able to write a sequence on T1 for the two voice, and a different sequence on T3 for the prophet, record enable both tracks in Logic, press play on the OT and be able to hear the two separate sequences, but this isn’t what I’m experiencing; what actually happens is both synths play both of the sequences all at once.

I hope this makes sense(!!)

I’m sure what I’m trying to achieve must be possible, but I’m lost as to how - can anyone help?

While I’m at it, I want Logic to pass through the midi clock being sent from the OT regardless of whether I press play or not in Logic. Again, can’t seem to fathom. If anyone knows how to configure my DAW essentially as one big Midi Thru box, please tell me! Thanks in advance

1. I would try to connect your synths direct to OT just to make sure OT config is correct. If it works it’s daw setup.
  2. Check if in OT “int + ext” or at least “ext” is activated.

Of course check midi connection and may be midi monitor on pc.

It’s definitely a DAW setup issue

Have a horrid feeling I’ll need to send the motu express 128 back and upgrade to an XT, but id be a little surprised if there isn’t a way to configure Logic so that that wouldn’t be necessary.

It sounds like the MIDI is being sent out on all channels. I use the Logic MIDI Environment to sort out stuff like this; use a channel splitter in the environment to route the MIDI coming in from the OT out to the appropriate channels for each of the synths. The MIDI environment is not all that user friendly but is pretty powerful!

Ran into similar issues with the Digitone and Logic. Decent explanation here: https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/6smjok/question_regarding_digitakt_and_logic_pro_x/

And solution in the response to this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5174298?tstart=0

to youtube

Thanks man, will give it a go

1 Like

Looks unpleasantly complicated! Hmmmm. To persevere or return and order a midi express XT…

Heh! I basically have to relearn how to do it each time I want to do something new. It can do some pretty amazing things but it’s kind of like looking at a Reaktor ensemble – brain goes nope.

1 Like

Is my laziness worth £135 to me, that’s the question! XT will actually work better too. I think we know where this ends.

Ugh, returns.

1 Like

Hey man, did you figure this out? I just want the OT to control logic, I can do the other way around. I have all my synths running through the OT, but still run through a Motu Micro.

Utterly predictably, I went for the XT in the end, and surprise surprise it solved all my issues. I’ve not actually tried to slave logic to the OT yet though.