Octatrack and MPE?

Out of curiosity, I took a look at the website. But I’m wondering, when recording MPE with lots of modulation and polyphonics AT, how about the memory? MPE generates quite some data…

It would probably fill up but I don’t think it would be a big enough problem to make it unusable. I installed the MPE compatible firmware at 8:00 last night so I haven’t had much time with it, just enough to confirm that it works, so I don’t have a good feel for how fast MPE fills it yet. It’s definitely more of a tool for improvising or writing in real time, not for storing a whole set of presequenced stuff or anything, I think if it was used that way alongside a second sequencer it would be fine. I’ll try to come up with some kind of meaningful way to measure it, maybe make a looping MPE sequence with a lot of pressure and pitchbend changes in a DAW and then record the MIDI out into the MidiREX until it fills up, then test it again with different MIDI filters enabled to get a vague idea of how much capacity things like pressure and pitch bend eat up. It would be a really vague estimate but it would say something, at least.

2 Likes

Well, let us know more after practice!

1 Like

Apologies for the necrobump, but I’m struggling to find any info about this anywhere to help me sequence my Medusa with my MPC1k.

Can you point me in the direction of any info on setting this up?

About Multi channels recording?
It was 5 or 6 years ago. :grimacing:
All I can tell is that I was using JJOS2XL, I don’t remember if the 1K does it with AKAI OS.

Thought it might be a long shot :laughing: thanks anyway mate.

Do you have JJOS2XL?

Yep. I’ll have a proper look at the manual this evening, but it’s a nightmare to read haha

1 Like

Yeah, now I have an MPC500, the short manual with 2 pages of parameters suffice!

I finally designed a prototype 3D printed case for my MidiREX.

Ever since getting a Micromonsta (Thanks Scott) I’ve been wanting to implement my Roli Seaboard Rise into my hardware only setup.

Roli > iConnect Midi Host Port > MidiREX > Micromonsta

Almost ready with the case so I can finally dig into MPE without a computer :slight_smile:

2 Likes