Octatrack and Machinedrum MIDI question

Had OT for around 3-4 months now and I’ve been just trying to understand the MIDI part.
I don’t have much experience in midi sequencing, but somehow I got them working together.

And I am wondering if it’s possible to change pitch of a synth I made in MD (with efm kit) in OT?
Pitch p-locking in MD is pretty exhausting but then it’s a drum machine, so I doubt this could be done.
Anyway asking away, thanks in advance.

Only if the synth is 16 different notes across all 16 voices.

I recommend sampling it into the OT

2 Likes

Got it, thanks :+1:

Unless I’m misunderstanding, do you mean to control the pitch in MD of the elm kit from OT?
If that’s the case, assign a CC in OT to change pitch in MD.
I owned MD loooong time ago and there was a very good midi implementation.
Midi cable out from OT to midi IN, in MD

2 Likes

MD pitch chart :
You can set a CC corresponding to pitch, use the chart and set your values in Lfo designer.

4 Likes

Not only, possible with CC but assigning different pitches to different machines is a good thing and let you use OT’s arp, controlling MD’s machines notes (GLOBAL > CONTROL > MAP EDITOR)

CC sheet

2 Likes

Er… I wish I understand these terminologies. CC, Base channel, all new to me.
so far the only thing I did in MD is to midi map each trigs on Global. and just this on OT.

Midi/ Control:
audio CC in checked
audio cc out int+ext
audio note checked
audio note out int+ext

Midi sync:
transp send
clock send

Not sure what this all means but just following various tutorials.
Thanks for the help, I think I am going to spend some time looking up these links and terminologies.

This concern audio tracks only. Forget it for the moment.

Midi sync parameters are ok if you want OT to be master clock.

CCs are Control Changes, common midi messages.

All needed parameters are in OT midi tracks.

To control MD tracks, you need to use corresponding midi channels, notes and CCs.

Midi base channel define MD midi channels.
Default is 1-4. With 2, it’s 2-5. Etc

Tracks 1-4 use midi base channel
Tracks 5-8 use midi base channel +1
Tracks 9-12 use midi base channel +2
Tracks 13-16 use midi base channel +3

Start with something simple :

MD : Base channel = 1
Choose notes in MAP EDITOR, or leave default values.
OT : select a midi track, choose channel 1, and use notes corresponding to MD tracks 1-4.

3 Likes

Ok, got it.
Playing the MD trigs, making patterns on OT is not problem. The base channel was on 1-4.

For now, I think I am just going to create everything on MD and just sample on OT.
The MD control charts and lfo design, I need to dig a bit deeper. Not in a hurry to master the OT, aha. Appreciate the chart, it’s a cool info :raised_hands:

1 Like