Octatrack and Digitakt Program Change

Thanks peter,

Yeah unfornately doing this makes the Digitakt wait 16-64 steps (depending on step length of DT pattern) before following the program change message from the Octatrack, basically stops it from doing a program change instantly…

But I’m now just going to use the both devices in the workflow you have previously recommended,

I want to be able to mix from 1 pattern or song on DT to the Octatrack and then also have another 8 tracks of audio available to myself with my Octatrack patterns and my live set…

Hopefully Elektron wil fix this issue in the coming firmware updates… because it’s got to be a massive advantage for creativity having this functionality…

Can’t the OT handle instant pattern changes?

Unfortunately it seems it can’t…

But if you follow the advice above, there is a compromise which involves automatic program change between the two devices… (the DT can mirror the patterns selected on the OT)

The issue is having DT instantly perform a program change through the OT part… the DT always wait till the end of the pattern length before switching)

Elektron… If anyone of you guys could shed some light on the issue… And implement a fix…

1 Like

I have 5 Elektron boxes in series.

Box 1 is the Octatrack MKII as the master.
Box 2 is the RYTM.
Box 3 is the Digitone.
Box 4 is the Digitakt.
Box 5 is the Analog Keys.

When I change the pattern on box 1 all the patterns change at the beginning of the new cycle but not box 4.
It waits one full cycle.

Why?

Even box 5 after box 4 changes on time.

Very strange.

Apparently a known bug with the Digitakt, thought it had been fixed in this latest update 1.07.

2 Likes

Thank you

Can anyone can confrim if 1.07 fix the issue?

It fixed it for me.

However, my MPC live, which is hanging off the end of the chain, now has the lag.

So there is something about the MIDI program change message that is strange.

There’s still issues with AR not changing in time if set to advanced track scale mode too, still meaning to file bug report…

There is nothing strange about it, just a too long midi chain (6 devices??).

Try to reduce the length of your midi chain by using a multi-MIDI-through box. Each single hop will introduce some delay and when the chain gets too long you may experience exactly this kind of lag (program change coming too late).

It is fixed.

2 Likes

6 MIDI THRU isn’t that long a chain.

I have a MIDI Solutions T8 and M8. It doesn’t make a difference lol

So, Elektron isn’t perfect. It’s ok.

Anyway, it was working fine before I updated the firmware in the Digitone and Digitakt.

In terms of the MPC , it’s something with the Elektron firmware.

I’m not worried about it.

It was just an aside.

The Elektron boxes all lock up “perfectly” LMAOROFL

I have been trying to get this working for longer than it should be taking me (I have other Digi boxes and this works flawlessly) so I understand what needs to be done but for some reason changing patterns on the Octatrack is not sending the change to the Digitakt so I have no idea what I’m missing.
The OT is the brains and is sending clock and transport and the DT is following that just fine. It’s just changing patterns that isn’t working. Did I completely misunderstand this thread?

Octatrack Settings
Sync - PROG CH SEND on
Ch AUTO
CHANNELS - Auto: 10

Digitakt Settings
Sync - PROG CH RECEIVE on
Channels - Auto: 10
PROG CHG IN CH: Auto

edit
I just figured it out before submitting this question and I didn’t see this specifically mentioned in @PeterHanes reply but Auto channel does not seem to work (bug?). In my case Auto is 10 and Prog Chg is sent on the Auto channel but doesn’t work. If I set the Prog Chg to 10 (which is the same as Auto) then it works.

I did mention it in one post above:

It’s not actually a bug but a confusing use of terminology by Elektron. Setting the OT’s PROG CH SEND CH to “AUTO” does not mean that the AUTO channel number is used to send the Program Change messages.

Instead, as stated in the manual:

If AUTO is chosen the first MIDI channel used by the audio tracks, and not used by any of the MIDI tracks, will be used.

This works because the OT’s PROG CH SEND CH value (10) matches the value (10) that you have set for PROG CH IN CH.

The important thing is that it is working for you!

1 Like

It’s not actually a bug but a confusing use of terminology by Elektron. Setting the OT’s PROG CH SEND CH to “AUTO” does not mean that the AUTO channel number is used to send the Program Change messages.

Ohhh I had no idea! This is so weird that they changed the implementation and definition in their later boxes. I’ve also read the manual a number of times but couldn’t recall that part. But yeah I’m glad it’s working now. Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead! Haha.