Octatrack: Altering samples for 8 patterns (A1-A8) with only 4 parts?

@Simulacrumb, this isn’t directed at you, just a general thought about how parts confuse people…

I think what confuses people the most is the “part quick select” menu…
This leads people to think it should be used in the middle of a playing pattern, when really I see its use more to just link your pattern to a part one time when you first make the pattern, and then leave it be.

The rytm for example doesn’t have a “kit quick select” menu, if it did it might make users think they should switch drum kits mid pattern and expect musical results. Personally I don’t know anyone that often switches drum kits on a drum machine in the middle of a pattern, same goes for OT parts…

That being said, there are next level tricks awaiting in switching parts mid pattern, but it seems to me a more advanced technique to be used occasionally by those willing to dive in and come up with good uses for it, but the general use is just to link a pattern to the part you want and then forget about it, just like loading the drum kit you want to build your pattern out of before you start making it…

This is great stuff. Thank you very much!

What you say about the part quick menu rings true for me - it looks to me like a performance tool. The part-reload thing I can completely imagine using, like the reload-pattern feature in the digitakt, but switching parts during a pattern seems uncomfortable to me, because trigs on one machine might not make sense against a different machine (or effects p-locks…)

I’m going to start out by assigning 1-4 to 1, 5-8 to 2, etc, (like someone else on the forum suggested a while back) and see if I can make it seem useful to me.

Zoink!

1 Like

Yea Part term is very confusing. For example, on SP-16 it is called a Scene. So you can have 16 scenes per project, each has 16 patterns and custom samples/effects e.t.c. Hoever once I got Octatrack first time, I took me a while to figure out Part concept.