Octatrack AED trimming simple to 1/4 loop

Hi all,

Pretty new to octratrack. And I was messing around with trimming some loops to 1/4 bar loops. I noticed that sometimes the T: (timestrech) will not change. And other times while changing triminng ( b: to 025) the end it will change. How can I make sure that the BPM is timestretch to the global BPM and stays like that. I think i have found some sort of other way around it. And that is by changing the pattern lengh to four. But I could also want an 30 bar loop and then it should restart.

What is generally best approach for this? How does it work…?

T is TEMPO. TRIM doesn’t depend on timestretch.

B is TRIM length in bars. You can select TRIM or TEMPO mode in ATTRIBUTES, with arrows then YES.

Beware, values are not precise when recheaching the exact displayed value.
Which is ridiculous.

Exemple reaching value 4 bars : The exact value, in samples unit, is between 4 and 4.01. Add the 4 and the 4.01 samples values, divide by 2 to find the right value.

For me the most precise is to calculate the number of samples.

1 Like

PS : the fastest/simplest is to resample the right length.

Doesnt really work. I use Lfo to change slide or slightly change start position.

Ok. Sorry to say it works, but you apparently don’t know how it works. :wink:

You’re talking about your slide, lfo, changing start position, but these parameters are different from AED parameters.

So, as you said you’re pretty new to OT, I’d recommend you to learn the difference between AED settings, and SRC/PLAYBACK settings.

A FLEX or STATIC machines plays samples depending on their AED settings, TRIM or SLICES (if PLAYBACK SETUP is in SLICE mode).

I guess you meant slice?
In the title, simple or sample? :content:
Sorry if it seems rude, but we need precise questions for precise answers.

So, your answer not being clear about initial question, I’d recommend you to think about it. Talking about AED or SRC/PLAYBACK ?

3 Likes

I mean slide. And I know the difference AED and Src/ playback. I have experience with Elektron devices for years. The only thing I wanted to have achieving is too trim a simple to 0,25 length (4 steps) and loop it. I noticed that in some case the BPM also increases while shortening the loop. I just want to shorten the loop but keep the same BPM. If I resample a loop to just 4 steps then I can never vary the start point anymore unless I resample again.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/cKIk9xLfCAo

This video exactly answered my question. And how BPM and trim are related.

Although I think the shortest way might be to just shorten the track pattern to 4 steps. Then nothing has to be trimmed. In the AED you can select a nice start position with the designated knob. That way you don’t need to resample whatsoever. Especially handy with poly meters.

1 Like

Thanks for details, much clearer now.

Yes, changing track scale seems a good solution.

1 Like

How about slicing it into four slices, and just using the first slice?

Make sense, but in that case you can can’t modulate start position.

Good point. I didn’t think about that.

1 Like