Octatrack 2?

the more i use the OT the more i think it’s just fine how it is…

it’d be nice to have some probability or whatever they’re calling it in the RYTM and A4 and there was something else i think they added that now i’ve forgotten what it even was so it must not have been a big deal for me… or i’m just occupied with all the OT can do.

working on a project that uses 3 flex tracks… and 2 tracks in the midi sequencer going out to a nord lead and it’s just ridiculous what can be done with just that and some FX.

drawing my own LFOs for controlling internal samples and then doing the same for controlling midi data… i mean… wtf. different track lengths… LFO controlling note length and velocity which goes to morph control on the nord… there’s just all kinds of life in these machines.

i’m sure i’ll be back next week bitching about some feature i want but hopefully i’ll recall this post and just get back to work with.

Yep, seems like sadly Akai can’t be trusted to take care of things these days so would be great to see Elektron or someone jump in and do it. Unless Akai nail that windows thing posted above that’s constantly rumoured. OT/MPC/Push 2 hybrid with best aspects of all units would be killer…[/quote]
Do you have any idea what you’re talking about? The upcoming MPC software will silence everyone slamming Akai. They have been steady updating the MPC software since it’s release. Users on MPC forums are very happy with the development so far, so what are you talking about? What haven’t they ‘taken care of’?[/quote]
Maybe I was a little harsh. Just thinking of both the mpx8/16 and that shitty analog synth they dropped recently. Seems like they haven’t made any great/forward thinking STANDALONE hardware in a long time… I’d love an mpc1000 with JJOS. So it’s not like I’m ‘anti akai’, I just can’t think of anything exciting from them in a long time. Some nice midi controllers/keyboards I guess… [/quote]
Akai has definitely made some weak shit in the last few years but their MPC software is serious. Once 2.0 drops (well, 2.xx with bug fixes fixed) any one of their MPC style controllers and a mid-tier laptop will give the user more creative freedom than any stand alone ever made. The 4K is still coveted in the industry but most producers/musicians are conforming to the norm of controller with laptop/PC combination.
The 4K was 3000 US when it was released. Take that 3K and get an Akai controller of your choice and a decent laptop, then have at it. We producers still spend the money to get the job done, but these days the hybrid setups are much more efficient in the studio and offer much more creative freedom.
[/quote]
I’m not sure I agree man. This thread was about an octatrack 2 so anything comparative needs to be standalone really? And also for me I cant imagine anything the MPC software controller/software hybrid would give me that ableton and push 2 wouldn’t (and more besides…). Except for the talked about MPC ‘feel’ and integration with other daws. If I remember right Push can only be used inside ableton, no support/limited functions when Rewired? But Machine probably has most things covered for non-ableton use? I’ve never really looked at it as I’ve not been in to the hybrid thing until I saw Push 2. Hoping to grab it soon… But seems like Akai have jumped in to an area where they’re playing catch up with Push and Machine, instead of focusing on standalone hardware, where they were ahead of the game. Just seems like a weird move that doesn’t really offer producers anything new… I could be wrong though, I’ve not looked at the latest MPC software and what it offers, maybe they’re breaking new ground there.

Yeah agreed, there’s enough diversity already in OT to last a lifetime. But a straight forward way to get separate outputs/stems, polyphonic tracks, slice to transient, recording ‘note off’ in audio track sequencer and updated effects (tape sim/amp sim/grittier delay etc) would be very welcome. Like others say though, I don’t think we’ll see an octatrack 2. Though I’m sure sampling will feature in their hardware again at some point but with a rethink on workflow etc.

I think some sort of next level digital synth with sample playback capabilities is probably more likely at this point than a true OT 2. Not necessarily a MnM replacement but something with similar digital synthesis but, please God!, proper granular synthesis utilising samples.

In any case, I just hope Elektron finally upgrade their displays with whatever they choose to release next hardware wise.

Yeah agreed, there’s enough diversity already in OT to last a lifetime. But a straight forward way to get separate outputs/stems, polyphonic tracks, slice to transient, recording ‘note off’ in audio track sequencer and updated effects (tape sim/amp sim/grittier delay etc) would be very welcome. Like others say though, I don’t think we’ll see an octatrack 2. Though I’m sure sampling will feature in their hardware again at some point but with a rethink on workflow etc. [/quote]

yeah… all those things would be pretty nice. shrug. a couple adat outs would do as well :wink:

as for granular… some ghetto granular would be fine… recently got a Bastl GrandPa in the modular and it’s a ridiculous amount of fun and characterful of granular sound with reasonable functionality for what it is.

elektron could probably code some kind of granular delay with freeze/loop ability for the DSP that’s in the OT. i’m sure there would be compromises but i’d rather have a group of weird things added to the OT as that just sort of makes them ripe for abuse.

as for the future with a digital synthesis/hybrid granular sample thing… yeah… bring it on… if the virus Ti can have a granular oscillator option seems like elektron could do something pretty interesting with current DSP.

whenever they get the A4/RYTM and Overbridge settled in a bit more maybe some of that stuff on the backburner will creep out.

just gotta say… the OT is doing a fuck ton in my studio right now and i’m only using a small amount of it.

The Octatrack is fine as it is. It does what it says on the tin and a whole lot more.

I still swapped mine for an Analog Keys recently. Push 2/Live Suite basically checks all my boxes for sequencing and sampling. But it’s also been less than a month and I feel like there’s an Octatrack-shaped hole in my studio. I appreciate the flexibility of my current setup but still miss the immediacy the OT gives. What I don’t miss are the limitations of recording my outputs for tracking or working within a semi-static step sequencing paradigm all the time.

So, I let go of my OT with some degree of confidence than an updated version will be released within 1-1.5 years. If I’m wrong or can’t wait I’ll get another. I think it’s likely that all of the Elektron stuff will eventually see a MKII when necessary to keep it contemporary, but only at the point that there is no way to expand in the current models. I think Elektron started thinking further into the future after the OT and it kind of represents the pinnacle of their earlier approach…but they also likely came across a lot of unavoidable limitations with it that they’ve addressed in their more recent gear. They are no doubt aware of what their user base would most like and what they would like to implement in a revisitation, and I think they can see enough demand in the market to justify the development in their own time.

So the OT is fine as it is and I think it’s a bit silly to really expect more from such a perfectly capable machine, but it could also be made better with a second pass in the near future, especially with the implementation of Overbridge and probability modes along with whatever else they could cook up.

Yep, seems like sadly Akai can’t be trusted to take care of things these days so would be great to see Elektron or someone jump in and do it. Unless Akai nail that windows thing posted above that’s constantly rumoured. OT/MPC/Push 2 hybrid with best aspects of all units would be killer…[/quote]
Do you have any idea what you’re talking about? The upcoming MPC software will silence everyone slamming Akai. They have been steady updating the MPC software since it’s release. Users on MPC forums are very happy with the development so far, so what are you talking about? What haven’t they ‘taken care of’?[/quote]
Maybe I was a little harsh. Just thinking of both the mpx8/16 and that shitty analog synth they dropped recently. Seems like they haven’t made any great/forward thinking STANDALONE hardware in a long time… I’d love an mpc1000 with JJOS. So it’s not like I’m ‘anti akai’, I just can’t think of anything exciting from them in a long time. Some nice midi controllers/keyboards I guess… [/quote]
Akai has definitely made some weak shit in the last few years but their MPC software is serious. Once 2.0 drops (well, 2.xx with bug fixes fixed) any one of their MPC style controllers and a mid-tier laptop will give the user more creative freedom than any stand alone ever made. The 4K is still coveted in the industry but most producers/musicians are conforming to the norm of controller with laptop/PC combination.
The 4K was 3000 US when it was released. Take that 3K and get an Akai controller of your choice and a decent laptop, then have at it. We producers still spend the money to get the job done, but these days the hybrid setups are much more efficient in the studio and offer much more creative freedom.
[/quote]
I’m not sure I agree man. This thread was about an octatrack 2 so anything comparative needs to be standalone really? And also for me I cant imagine anything the MPC software controller/software hybrid would give me that ableton and push 2 wouldn’t (and more besides…). Except for the talked about MPC ‘feel’ and integration with other daws. If I remember right Push can only be used inside ableton, no support/limited functions when Rewired? But Machine probably has most things covered for non-ableton use? I’ve never really looked at it as I’ve not been in to the hybrid thing until I saw Push 2. Hoping to grab it soon… But seems like Akai have jumped in to an area where they’re playing catch up with Push and Machine, instead of focusing on standalone hardware, where they were ahead of the game. Just seems like a weird move that doesn’t really offer producers anything new… I could be wrong though, I’ve not looked at the latest MPC software and what it offers, maybe they’re breaking new ground there. [/quote]
Audio Tracks, ‘real time’ time stretching, audio and MIDI drag and drop, more q-link integration, new GUI as well for v 2.0. Pretty soon they’ll have every base covered. Those are only the preliminary specs for 2.0, so things are looking great. Real time audio stretching and audio track recording are two features that stand out.

sampling keyboard, press one key to sample and it splits them along the keys. p-lock sample settings to keys. 8 tracks of that, and elektron can take my money. :smiley:

nothing off the top of the head like that other than the old ensoniq/emu joints. of course the OP-1 can do this too, just one track available at a time though. i’m sure there’s others too but it would be interesting to see elektron’s take on it

1 Like

Sold my OT and kept my RYTM.

Will get the next version of the OT when it comes out.

:slight_smile:

Yeah would love to see Elektron nail what korg tried half-hearted to do with the microsampler form factor… Keep meaning to research roland v-synth. But either of those with an elektron sequencer and bells and whistles would be amazing.

V-Synth is yummy. I think. I sold mine. But I’m not very smart. So ignore me. In case you haven’t figured that out yet.

1. Get a V-Synth XT, pair it up with an Elektron.
  2. ???
  3. Profit

The more I use the OP-1 the more I want all my gear to have a 16 hour lithium battery inside. So, that’s my request.

:+1:

1 Like

Just a ADAT more output possibilty, and everything is alll good. please :stuck_out_tongue:

[ul]
[li]the same layout but 16 audio tracks + 8 midi (switchable just like the MIDI button today) [/li]
[li]send/return effect tracks[/li]
[li]more flexible FX - for example filter, delay and reverb on each tracks[/li]
[li]polyphony on tracks[/li]
[li]more then 16 scenes per part or at least dedicated global scenes for master track[/li]
[li]more knobs :slight_smile: [/li]
[li]performance macros[/li]
[li]more external inputs[/li]
[li]USB host mode for external controllers[/li]
[li]1024 or more slots or just remove slots and parts altogether[/li]
[li]more patterns per project, lets just keep one big live project with multiple ‘songs’ available all the time[/li]
[li]being able to loop longer loops then 64 steps[/li]
[li]more memory for recorders or record straight to the SD/CF card[/li]
[li]probability locks[/li]
[li]quick store a track output to the file (like freeze/flatten in Ableton)[/li]
[/ul]

Elektron, you can do it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does anyone else here think that Roland’s Toraiz SP-16 release might force Elektron’s hand toward pushing out an Octatrack Mk2? Perhaps even hone it to be more focused and user friendly (and therefore slightly less deep)?

Someone told me the Octatrack is actually selling quite well. I was very happy, and a bit surprised actually, to hear that. It shows me that a lot of musicians are at least not afraid of the techy stuff, which is great!

I too think it’s pretty darn great the way it is, but would appreciate bug fixes and an extended support for controlling all of the Octatrack from external controllers. Imagine to hook up some pads to play MPC style slices on one track, some other pads dedicated for playing another track chromatically etc. To maximise the live aspect of the Octatrack.

For a whole new sampler/ MIDI machine though, instead of making it deeper, I’d urge them to look the other direction. The OP-1 is great example of how to be playful and direct. You can get going very quickly. Ableton, Push, Machine too… they’re all very very strong when it comes to samples…

To make a next generation sampler I’d advice Elektron to really treat it as a sampler Instrument. Think about what’s so fun with treating samples, lofi granular, advanced granular, auto tuning, pitch shifting, vocoder inputs, voice manipulation… New acoustic sounding effects to treat samples in a more acoustic sounding way… And a dead on looper with sequencer must be there, and work really well, but more free… Like a Void’s Strom or something…

… Running out of laptop battery… oops…

A “hexadecatrack” would be badass!

A “hexadecatrack” would be badass![/quote]
Pioneer Toraiz will also have 16 tracks.
With OT + TM-2 I have 10 audio tracks (plus one recorder and master) and I’m quite happy with that. 8 is not enough unless you squeeze all drums into single track.

1 Like

I don’t think so personally, at least it doesn’t seem like the direction Elektron typically goes (simpler).