Octatrack 2?

Indeed Id be allo over that bitch, especially if they made it as easy to loop with as say the boss RC505.

JJ OS Kickstarter A++++++

i wonā€™t expect a new ot in for like 3-5 years.
they should make a new monomachine in my opinion.

I wish theyā€™d open-source their OS software.

Proprietary operating systems lock down innovation. Weā€™ve seen enough developers with interest in the machines to make companion apps but wouldnā€™t it be better to have that time and talent possibly finding bugs and suggesting upgrades (and for legacy devices replacements) to the main system?

I just bought my second octatrack this week. Iā€™m happier than a pig in shit.

1 Like

They should follow the Access model.

One machine to rule them all and in the darkness bind themā€¦AKA DARK TRINITY in a box. Improve hardware every 7-10 years but provide ample specs for major OS upgrades and features like the Virus.

A few points.

First, I have heard that Elektron is very busy, but not necessarily working on their own products. Whether that is true or not is sort of irrelevant, it is simply a fact that Elektron could be keeping themselves busy doing lots of different things, not just coming out with a new 13" x 7" box.

Also, we know that a new MnM is not imminent as they made a statement to that effect after discounting the current MnM. Given consumer protection laws and administrative policies in Europe in general and Sweden in particular, I would take that statement as essentially gospel at this point. What knowledge I have of legal precedent in this area suggests they would need to wait at least 12 months before announcing or selling a close competitor. They may be able to make a machine like the MnM and call it something different to get it by regulators, but they also have to worry about their brand name.

I do think an OT 2 is quite likely. There are continual and rather loud calls for additional features for the OT. Plus it is not Overbridge enabled which is clearly something that is very important for them. Also consider that development / support of the OT software probably did not reach a natural conclusion. For such an important complement to the A4 and AR it just makes sense to keep the OT on an update cycle for longer. Speaking more to this point, it also makes sense to build an OT 2, simply to support the sale of more ARs and A4s. They do make a great combo. But the OT is really a generation behind in terms of capabilities (for example just the raw DSP power for high quality effects).

ā€”Wild speculative talkā€”
It could also be the case however, that Elektron doesnā€™t really believe in the OT concept as a path forward over the long-term. Worth considering at least. If that is the case, then OB makes a lot of sense in order to connect better with Ableton or Ableton-like DAWs. As a tool, Ableton is simply better than OT for the majority. It may not be as fun for a musician, but listeners donā€™t care much about how much fun you are having if the difference is minor (of course you canā€™t hate what you are doing and be successful as a performer either). If it is in fact possible to make Ableton in a box and not have it end up looking like / acting like a computer, that would be great. I am not so sure. Anyway this is really just Devilā€™s Advocate stuff hereā€¦
ā€”End wild speculative talkā€”

Personally, I would like to see a new digital Elektron box. A spiritual successor to the MnM but not tied down to it in the sense it must recreate every feature of the MnM. For example, would a new digital synth box need a vocoder machine? I donā€™t really think so, itā€™s not worth the development time to update it from what is currently in the MnM. I would like to see something with Serum-like sound quality, with the sequencing features of the A4 or AR.

It is possible their roadmap is OT2 then MnM3, but they could have another device in mind as well. A mixer would be a great idea, a la MX-1. And actually, that could pull the load off the OT to be too many things at once. Hmmmā€¦

When I talked to the Elektron guys at Abletonā€™s Loop event a few months ago, I was told the OT is feature complete and thereā€™s no plans for anything other than possible bug fixes going forward. They said at this point the OT is running flat out at the limits of itā€™s capabilities already, thereā€™s not enough juice left for new features. They also nixed the idea of an OT2 as well, which is not suprising since theyā€™ve always said they donā€™t want to release product updates that make older versions obsolete.

1 Like

Not surprised at any of this.
They may or may not do another hardware sampler, but if they do, they wonā€™t call it ā€œOctatrack 2ā€ or ā€œOctatrackā€-anything.
Iā€™m thinking of how Analog 4/Analog Keys is not a ā€œMonomachine 2ā€, Analog Rytm is not a ā€œMachinedrum 2ā€, etc.

Iā€™m thinking that Elektron should make the next-gen MPC.

like this?

Yep, seems like sadly Akai canā€™t be trusted to take care of things these days so would be great to see Elektron or someone jump in and do it. Unless Akai nail that windows thing posted above thatā€™s constantly rumoured. OT/MPC/Push 2 hybrid with best aspects of all units would be killerā€¦

1 Like

An OT that has the same ease of use as the analog series sequencers would be pretty nuts.

Donā€™t really care about overbridge, but if you could change individual track lengths the same way as in A4/AR and access swing settings as easily + with the addition of the new trig modes and 'fillā€™s - It would be awesome.

@octalog

Why would they have to wait another year before launching a new MNM after discounting their current model when companies like Native Instruments can discount their units one week then a few weeks later BANG a new model appears on the market?

Guessing because Elektron publicly implied there isnā€™t a successor on the near horizon. Guess legally that could be some kind of false advertising or something?

Guessing because Elektron publicly implied there isnā€™t a successor on the near horizon. Guess legally that could be some kind of false advertising or something? [/quote]
I think there is some kind of law within the EU regarding sales / discontinuation of product linesā€¦ i.e. you canā€™t sell out stock if it is about to be superceded, without advertising that fact as a reason for the sale.

Guessing because Elektron publicly implied there isnā€™t a successor on the near horizon. Guess legally that could be some kind of false advertising or something? [/quote]
I think there is some kind of law within the EU regarding sales / discontinuation of product linesā€¦ i.e. you canā€™t sell out stock if it is about to be superceded, without advertising that fact as a reason for the sale.[/quote]
Ah OK, yeah that makes sense.

Yep, seems like sadly Akai canā€™t be trusted to take care of things these days so would be great to see Elektron or someone jump in and do it. Unless Akai nail that windows thing posted above thatā€™s constantly rumoured. OT/MPC/Push 2 hybrid with best aspects of all units would be killerā€¦[/quote]
Do you have any idea what youā€™re talking about? The upcoming MPC software will silence everyone slamming Akai. They have been steady updating the MPC software since itā€™s release. Users on MPC forums are very happy with the development so far, so what are you talking about? What havenā€™t they ā€˜taken care ofā€™?

Yep, seems like sadly Akai canā€™t be trusted to take care of things these days so would be great to see Elektron or someone jump in and do it. Unless Akai nail that windows thing posted above thatā€™s constantly rumoured. OT/MPC/Push 2 hybrid with best aspects of all units would be killerā€¦[/quote]
Do you have any idea what youā€™re talking about? The upcoming MPC software will silence everyone slamming Akai. They have been steady updating the MPC software since itā€™s release. Users on MPC forums are very happy with the development so far, so what are you talking about? What havenā€™t they ā€˜taken care ofā€™?[/quote]
Maybe I was a little harsh. Just thinking of both the mpx8/16 and that shitty analog synth they dropped recently. Seems like they havenā€™t made any great/forward thinking STANDALONE hardware in a long timeā€¦ Iā€™d love an mpc1000 with JJOS. So itā€™s not like Iā€™m ā€˜anti akaiā€™, I just canā€™t think of anything exciting from them in a long time. Some nice midi controllers/keyboards I guessā€¦

Do you have any idea what youā€™re talking about? The upcoming MPC software will silence everyone slamming Akai. They have been steady updating the MPC software since itā€™s release. Users on MPC forums are very happy with the development so far, so what are you talking about? What havenā€™t they ā€˜taken care ofā€™?[/quote]
Maybe I was a little harsh. Just thinking of both the mpx8/16 and that shitty analog synth they dropped recently. Seems like they havenā€™t made any great/forward thinking STANDALONE hardware in a long timeā€¦ Iā€™d love an mpc1000 with JJOS. So itā€™s not like Iā€™m ā€˜anti akaiā€™, I just canā€™t think of anything exciting from them in a long time. Some nice midi controllers/keyboards I guessā€¦ [/quote]
Akai has definitely made some weak shit in the last few years but their MPC software is serious. Once 2.0 drops (well, 2.xx with bug fixes fixed) any one of their MPC style controllers and a mid-tier laptop will give the user more creative freedom than any stand alone ever made. The 4K is still coveted in the industry but most producers/musicians are conforming to the norm of controller with laptop/PC combination.
The 4K was 3000 US when it was released. Take that 3K and get an Akai controller of your choice and a decent laptop, then have at it. We producers still spend the money to get the job done, but these days the hybrid setups are much more efficient in the studio and offer much more creative freedom.