OctaEdit - Octatrack Software Editor and Librarian [ OSX / Windows ]

I finally pushed the button last WE and I just find time to use it, this helps me a looot. I have live next WE and need to clean my project : easy like a sunday mooorning !

2 Likes

I havenā€™t implemented ā€˜Sample Renamingā€™ / OctaEdit doesnā€™t have this functionality.

Itā€™s not that I canā€™t do it; but it creates a potential issue around scenarios where a user might rename a sample that is referenced by multiple Projects.

If they donā€™t save all the Projects; then they would end up with broken references to the old sample in the (unsaved) Projects.

There is then the potential that cats might complain; and blame OctaEdit when it has functioned exactly as designed, but the user has failed to complete a process.

Thats not an acceptable risk that I am prepared to take.

The obvious workaround is to auto-save the affected Projects.

That brings in the potential that OctaEdit will save a Project; including changes that the user didnā€™t actually want (e.g. they were playing around without concentrating / just testing etc); they might then blame OctaEdit, when, again, it has functioned exactly as designed, but the user has failed to understand the process / realised what is occuring.

Again, not an acceptable risk that I am prepared to take.

This is just being pragmatic and risk-adverse. Iā€™ve already been burnt by people complaining on forums / facebook etc about ā€œissuesā€ when it has functioned exactly as designed and documented; yet instead of querying the how and why; theyā€™ve gone and posted ā€œOctaEdit sucks!!!ā€ publicly on Facebookā€¦ once explained to them, theyā€™ve realised the error of their ways; but as an independent developer relying on word-of-mouth / recommendations; I canā€™t afford, nor deal with that kind of scenario.

In saying all thatā€¦

Functionality exists within the Samples module for sample import/export; so you can very quickly select a sample e.g. Flex001 "ā€œKickyKickā€; export it as ā€œMyKickā€; then reimport it back into Project; overwriting the existing slot. Net result is the same as renaming the file.

7 Likes

Thanks for the detailed response. I understand your concerns, for sure.

This would be my number one feature request I suppose (with a giant ā€œDo you understand the implications of renaming?ā€ dialogue). But understand if you donā€™t want to take the risk.

Also good to know about the workaround.

Iā€™ve added a ā€œSample Renameā€ function in v1.1.222

Will be available in the forthcoming release candidate / OctaEdit v1.2.000

5 Likes

That is great news, and very appreciated! Many thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Question about the octachanier. When you chain a couple of sound files together and load in to the octatrack are they pre sliced , or do you still have to slice manually in the octatrack ?

Pre-sliced.

The Chainer module creates the Sample Chain and the required settings file as well.

You can then either import the Sample Chain directly into a Project of the currently loaded Set; export the Sample Chain to disk / Octatrack for later use; or backup the Sample Chain and all samples into a archive for later editing.

4 Likes

That is awesome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

OctaEdit v1.1.300 Beta is now available (OSX Only)

OctaEdit is now in public beta; available to all users via the regular way.

If you are a new user; and want the old OSX version (v1.1.010) then please let me know.

So whats new?

• New Audio Engine
  • GUI Overhaul
  • New Samples Module.
  • New Arranger Module.
  • New Audio Finder Module.
  • Moved Arp Designer, LFO Designer and Support modules into their own tabs.
  • A whole bunch of other stuff, tweaks, enhancements, code tightening etcā€¦

Way, way too much to mention, as the change log is hundreds of lines long.

Pretty pictures of course, because we all like thoseā€¦

OctaEdit : Updated UI

New Samples Module: Slots Mode

New Samples Module: Slices Mode

New Arranger Module

New Audio Finder Module

Updated Arp Designer Module

Updated LFO Designer Module

Updated Options Module

Updated Support Module

It never endsā€¦

12 Likes

Awesome :slight_smile:

I just bought the software, is it not possible to use the software realtime or do i have to go to usb mode and then save in octaedit to use it ?

You canā€™t use it in realtime with the Octatrack playing. Simply put, OctaEdit requires access to the comapct flash card, and you canā€™t do that when the Octatrack is using it. Can only have one thing accessing the card at a time.

And the Octatrack doesnā€™t have the capabilities to be integrated to by the outside world due to the poor midi specification, and non existent sysex. Also why no iPad version, IOS just doesnā€™t have the capabilities to integrate with the Octatrack, due to the limited access to the machine. So whilst I could write an IPad app, it would only provide 10% of the functionality of OctaEdit if that at best, not worth the effort, and you could only get access to the current Part of the current Bank in the current Projectā€¦ i.e. nothing at all.

6 Likes

Thanks still great software

2 Likes

Woooo! Go Almighty Rustyyy! Waiting on 1.1.3 WIN.

Probably notā€¦ youā€™ll get either v1.1.400 or v1.2.000 :wink:

Oh snap. Iā€™ll just plunk down now then. New some better project mobility in my life.

Itā€™s because Iā€™m already pastv1.1.300; and getting ready for a new buildā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

OctaEdit v1.2 will be a free update for all users.

I keep getting asked this. I havenā€™t charged for any updates yet, what makes you think Iā€™m going to start now? :smiley_cat:

8 Likes

Thanks Rusty. I owe you a drink(s)

OctaEdit v1.1.400 Beta is now available (OSX Only)

Grab it the regular way.

If you want the OSX Legacy version, give me a yell.

Windows version? Iā€™m working out some bugs specific to the Windows build :expressionless:

2 Likes